Apfelwein......to carbonate or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onejdn

Reaction score
I have a my first batch of apfelwein going and I'm wondering if I should carbonate it or not when I bottle. I know a lot of people on here have made this before or are drinking it now and just wondered what the general consensus is.

I serve mine still like a nice white wine and sparkling (carbed) like a sparkling wine (champagne) Both ways are nice.

Maybe do half and half? Bottle half still, add 2 oz priming sugar solution and stir gently to mix in the sugar then continue bottling the rest. See which way you prefer and then rinse/repeat. You do have another batch fermenting, don't you? That was part of the recipe after all. :D

I've found that the beer oriented people tend to prefer it carbonated while the wine oriented people enjoy it still. I did a mix of the two.

You do have another batch fermenting, don't you? That was part of the recipe after all. :D

HAHA, well I only have one batch going since it's my first but its so damn easy to make I'm sure I will get another going once I discover I actually like it. Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I'm gonna try it both ways.

Ah yes, that is a question. I brewed one on 20080816.
20080829 Racked to keg, ageing.
Recipe:
5 gal Motts Apple juice 28 grams sugar each.
2 lb brown sugar
3 qt light third runnings malt from Octoberfest.
1 orange rinds
1 lemon rinds and juice
1 cinnamon quill broken up.
8 cloves.
1 package moncharat yeast.
OG: 1.053 ABV: ??
FG: 0.998

Now, I currently have another cider on tap made from WLP300, just kegged and tasting great after a month an half.

So the question still begs an answer honoured masters.
Could I tap this after my fast cider, enjoy it, then bottle the last 2 gallons and ration it out while I make more? :tank:

I'm not much of a wine guy, but I really liked it still. You can always drink it with a half measure of soda.

Back