"The Urge" Nutbrown

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walker

I use secondaries. :p
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I got a wild hair up my butt on Saturday and decided to brew a batch since the kids went to bed early.

Scouring the fridge and freezer, I came up with:

6.25 lb extra light DME
1/3 lb biscuit malt
1/2 lb victory
1/2 lb crystal 60
1/2 lb aromatic malt
1.5 oz whole fuggles (4%) @ 60min
1.0 oz whole fuggles (4%) @ 40min
wyeast 1028 (london ale)

Some of the better things about this brew session:

(1) I didn't have to have an internal battle about the recipe being right or making tweaks. There was no time for debate.

(2) Lots of people here know that I make big starters, pitch half and save the other half for later. Normally, I pull the half starter out of the fridge and make a new starter out of it, but since I had no preparation for this session, I pulled one of my saved half-starters from the fridge, warmed it up, and pitched it directly. (Fermentation started in less than 8 hours, too).

(3) the kids were looking ready for bed whole eating dinner, so I started heating up water while we ate and thought about what grains to use. I started the steep before giving them baths and tucking them into bed. When I came back downstairs, my grains had been at 150-160 for 45 minutes, and I went straight into the boil. Normally, none of this starts until about 8:30 or 9:00pm, but with the jump-start I got by overlapping with dinner and bedtime ritual, I was throwing in my first hop addition by 8:30. SO, normally I finish at about 1am with minimal cleanup, but this time I was done with everything (including clean-up) by 10:30pm, so I sat down and watched Capote before I went to bed.

I think I've got JUST about too many IBUs and too much alcohol for this to be called an English Brown, but for lack of a better catagory, this is what I am calling it.

-walker

thanks. I'm definately going to overlap the steeping in the future. MAJOR time saver.

However, I should have mentioned the bad things from this session, too...

(1) somehow managed to boil over with 3 minutes left before flame-out. *shrug* This has happened on the last two batches. I think my stove likes beer and will do whatever it can to get a taste.

(2) went to the back deck to hook up my chiller after flame-out and found that the dog (oddly enough, she's named "Brownie") had chewed the last 6 feet off of the garden hose, so I had to move the chilling operation to the front of the house where I still had an entire hose to use. I am considering making the official name of this brew "Brownie Brown", which is what I often call the dog anyway.

(3) because I used my starter straight from the fridge, I didn't have any yeast left to save like normal, so I am officially OUT of 1028 until I buy more. I only got two batches out of that smack-pack, but I'm willing to accept that.

-walker

Walker-san said:
(3) because I used my starter straight from the fridge, I didn't have any yeast left to save like normal, so I am officially OUT of 1028 until I buy more. I only got two batches out of that smack-pack, but I'm willing to accept that.

-walker

Why can't you save the slurry?

Sounds like a good one. I love the improptu brew sessions too.

I can save the trub from it, if that's what you mean. I usually don't do that, but I guess there is no reason (other than laziness) that I couldn't.

-walker

Walker-san said:
I think I've got JUST about too many IBUs and too much alcohol for this to be called an English Brown, but for lack of a better catagory, this is what I am calling it.
-walker
I would call it an ESB.

that might fit better.

It certainly isn't very dark, so calling it a brown ale will probably seem strange. (I forgot to mention that I added 0.5 oz of black patent to darken it, but I should have used a little more... my extract is only 4 SRM, so it needs help to make a dark beer.)

good call, rich.

I racked this to secondary tonight and tasted it. It certainly reminds me of a bitter (definately not a brown). I renamed it "Accidental ESB".

I'll have to see how this turns out. Should be interesting.

-walker

Walker-san said:
good call, rich.

I racked this to secondary tonight and tasted it. It certainly reminds me of a bitter (definately not a brown). I renamed it "Accidental ESB".

Did you rename your dog "esby esb?"

Back