Apfelwein vs cider vs cyser

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apfelwine- 9+% abv

Cider- 3-9% abv

Cyser- combination of cider and honey, usually in the Apfelwine range for abv.

Hope that helps! :)

Apfelwine- 9+% abv

Cider- 3-9% abv

Not true. There is no difference between Apfelwein and Cider, other than the words themselves (Apfelwein is the German word, Cider is the English word, and in Austria it's called Most) - they are all one and the same. The commercial German Apfelwein is typically between 4 and 8% ABV.

Apfelwein existed long, long before the inventors of the internet were even born.

I am quoting from the BJCP guidelines. Not at all disputing that the Germans make a low abv apfelwine, but the OP asked for the DIFFERENCES between them. Abv (IMO) is one of the best ways to differentiate between the different styles.

I am quoting from the BJCP guidelines. Not at all disputing that the Germans make a low abv apfelwine, but the OP asked for the DIFFERENCES between them. Abv (IMO) is one of the best ways to differentiate between the different styles.

It's Apfelwein, not Apfelwine, and BJCP doesn't get to redefine what Apfelwein means just because Edwort posted a recipe here in 2007. That would be akin to me posting a recipe in China redefining what American IPA means, solely according to my own taste preference and recipe, and them starting to judge according to my recipe. Do you see how silly that sounds?

It is a tad pedantic to run on about spelling and such, no? Especially since "apfelwein" isn't actually in the style guide.

It would be much more helpful to point out that, although many people have made alcohol in many ways, what would be considered traditional Apfelwein in Europe does not match the BJCP's description of AppleWine (28c) even thought the names are similar.

They style guide even warns of confusion, and I agree with WilliamSlayer that it is a fine reference for these kinds of distinctions.

To a surbarn bumpkin that can't use hops, Cider to me is anything that involves only Juice(as in no fruits fermented) on the product. To me you add the wine aspect when you introduce fruit fermentation. But like I said I'm a wimpy suburbanite.

edit: To include the word juice. Apparently it was not important to the post...

It is a tad pedantic to run on about spelling and such, no? Especially since "apfelwein" isn't actually in the style guide.

It would be much more helpful to point out that, although many people have made alcohol in many ways, what would be considered traditional Apfelwein in Europe does not match the BJCP's description of AppleWine (28c) even thought the names are similar.

They style guide even warns of confusion, and I agree with WilliamSlayer that it is a fine reference for these kinds of distinctions.

The point of confusion here is this:

"Apfelwein" is not equal to the English language "Apple Wine", even though that's literally what it means in German. Apfelwein means cider and that's all it means. Therefore asking what is the difference between apfelwein and cider: there is zero difference. What is the difference between "apple wine" and cider: wine, in English language, is usually defined as minimum 9% ABV.

Apfelwein isn't in the style guide because it doesn't need to be: the word "cider" is already there.

The point of confusion here is this:

"Apfelwein" is not equal to the English language "Apple Wine", even though that's literally what it means in German. Apfelwein means cider and that's all it means. Therefore asking what is the difference between apfelwein and cider: there is zero difference. What is the difference between "apple wine" and cider: wine, in English language, is usually defined as minimum 9% ABV.

Apfelwein isn't in the style guide because it doesn't need to be: the word "cider" is already there.

Very good point. I must admit that I read the threads title and translated directly in my mind (3 years of German in H.S.) and ran with 'apple wine' in my brain from there.

So I will leave it up to the OP as to what They were thinking of when they asked the question. Especially since its been answered in several different ways now!

All this arguing has made me thirsty. I'm going to go start a Cyser, pop a bottle of apfelwein, and rack my cherry cider. But. I WILL BE DAMNED, before I put beans in my Chili!!!

All this arguing has made me thirsty. I'm going to go start a Cyser, pop a bottle of apfelwein, and rack my cherry cider. But. I WILL BE DAMNED, before I put beans in my Chili!!!

Beans are great, but I cannot imagine chili without a can of these inside:

0007639700407_500X500.jpg

Now Podz... Dont you start a war here. Of course chili needs peppers, but beans? That's like saying a cider needs grapes or a mead needs sugar. Don't make me come find you in Finland!:D

Back