Wondering about my rhizomes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derbycitybrewer

Reaction score
So over a week ago I got some new rhizomes in and put them in the ground. I used organic potting soil as well. When I planted them I didn't see any chutes but some nice healthy roots. Any how, 8-9 days later I still don't have any chutes and from what I understand is they should have been popping up by now. Should I be worried? Should I dig them up to make sure I didn't plant them upside down or will it be fine? Cheers ahead of time!! Als

Also ordered 3 more rhizomes Saturday to bring me up to 5 plants. Should make for a great harvest In a year or two when they get established.

Hang in there...my first year nuggets took about 14 days after planting to break ground in PA

It's going to depend on soil temperature. The last rhizome I planted was in the fall and took 4 months to send up shoots.

PSUBrew said:
Hang in there...my first year nuggets took about 14 days after planting to break ground in PA

I planted the horizontal and after doing some research more people said to do it vertical. One has already popped. Waiting on the other one. Thx for the advice.

nagmay said:
It's going to depend on soil temperature. The last rhizome I planted was in the fall and took 4 months to send up shoots.

It's been around 80degrees f in my area. One just had a chute come up today. Hopefully they will take off. Have u ever used miracle grow on hops?

Derby,
Once they shoot a bine above ground they will take off quickly. As soon as they are tall enough to reach some twine you should cut the plant back to the 4 healthest bines and start training them onto the rope. Depending on the strain they can get extremely tall pretty darn quick too. So dont hesitate and try not to be too rough with the bines the entire first yesr, After the firdt growing season in the ground you can start planning the brews you wish to nake and ibsure that you have enough hops to complete the recipe unimpeded or without any signifcant slowing in your growth. My second year hops are all still alive and I am waiting impatiently to go to the garden and hoe/weed as soon as the seeded bines come up so I know exactly where to aoid with a shovel or a hay rake. I truly enjoyed growing my own gops last year so it should be a snap this season too, It should be a matter of trimming off any dead wood laying on the ground, and train the bines onto the twine and sit back and wait. You should plan to train the bines every week as a minimum. Also plan to water them everyday early of mid day to avoid fungal infections that pop up spontainously in what ever you will be using as a boil and mash tun. Good luck on your entry to home brewing and I also hope that you find all the answers you need for a great job rather than a Mediocre attempt at home brewing.

Wheelchair Bob

Rbeckett said:
Derby,
Once they shoot a bine above ground they will take off quickly. As soon as they are tall enough to reach some twine you should cut the plant back to the 4 healthest bines and start training them onto the rope. Depending on the strain they can get extremely tall pretty darn quick too. So dont hesitate and try not to be too rough with the bines the entire first yesr, After the firdt growing season in the ground you can start planning the brews you wish to nake and ibsure that you have enough hops to complete the recipe unimpeded or without any signifcant slowing in your growth. My second year hops are all still alive and I am waiting impatiently to go to the garden and hoe/weed as soon as the seeded bines come up so I know exactly where to aoid with a shovel or a hay rake. I truly enjoyed growing my own gops last year so it should be a snap this season too, It should be a matter of trimming off any dead wood laying on the ground, and train the bines onto the twine and sit back and wait. You should plan to train the bines every week as a minimum. Also plan to water them everyday early of mid day to avoid fungal infections that pop up spontainously in what ever you will be using as a boil and mash tun. Good luck on your entry to home brewing and I also hope that you find all the answers you need for a great job rather than a Mediocre attempt at home brewing.

Wheelchair Bob

Wow. Thanks for the great reply. Both plants have now broke ground. So hopefully there gonna really get to growing now

Back