WLP500 strong belgian 1.090 - 1.023...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morganamps

Reaction score
so I have this belgian strong extract brew (1.090) that I pitched with WLP500 at 63F and let sit there for 8 days.

At 8 days I was at 1.040 so I decided to warm it up to 70 and have left it for another week.

Now I am at 1.023 and wonder if this is it or should I let her ride for another week and bring the temp up to 74-5ish

Hydro samples taste good although a little sweet. But I still drink the entire tube.

so wwhbvd (what would home brew veteran do) wait? warm? or rack?

I'd rouse the yeast, maybe warm it up a tad more, but mostly wait. Some of the Belgian strains take some time to finish up their business. Give another week or so, and if there's no change then might as well package.

You are at 74.5% attenuation. Wlp500 will range from 75 to 80% attenuation so you are right there. If you go above 72 degrees with this yeast you might get a few more points out of it but you risk off flavors. I'd say your done.

phuff7129 said:
You are at 74.5% attenuation. Wlp500 will range from 75 to 80% attenuation so you are right there. If you go above 72 degrees with this yeast you might get a few more points out of it but you risk off flavors. I'd say your done.

I think at this point the OP is fairly safe from temp-derived off flavors. Those generally occur during the growth phase, in the first 24-48 hours or so of active fermentation. I think your point about attenuation is the key.

Latest posts

Back