can carpet cleaning soulution be removed from Cony Kegs.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geneween

Reaction score
I got a couple of Corny kegs for free that were used for carpet cleaning. Anyone have success removing the cleaning solution and getting it ready for beer.

Thanks,
Gene

I will defer to the experts here but I would not be comfortable using any vessel that had any non food uses particularly unknown chemicals

Just my 2 cents

I'd be tempted to try a hot PBW soak followed by an acid rinse followed by a sanitizer. Then I'd dry them, seal 'em up, let them sit in the sun for an afternoon, then pop the tops and give them a serious sniff test.

And if they passed that, I'd be good with using them. But if I caught even a hint of something chemical, to the scrap yard they'd go...

Cheers!

yeah...umm... I think you should seek out...more experienced help than what you will find on a internet board (don't ask me where). There is a down side to using a vessel previously used for chemicals, and it's a REALLY BIG downside. Personally, I would never feel comfortable with that:(.

Just a guess here, but I would replace ALL plastic/rubber on the kegs - poppets and orings. The orings are cheap, the poppets not as much. Once you do that, everything left is stainless. Once done, do like day trippr says and give it the sniff test. Maybe fill it with water for a day or two and sniff/taste that.

If it's cleaned well and all rubber replaced including poppets, I see no reason why it can't be used. I don't know anything about carpet cleaning chemicals, but I would think they would be water soluable so they can be washed out of the carpet.

Personally, I would use them as dedicated cleaning kegs myself. I wouldn't risk putting beer in them.

I have been scrubbing them everyday with hot water and PBW, then a thorough clean water rinse, then they soak with hot water and PBW overnight. Been doing that for the last 5 days. I will switch to Bartenders friend in a few days then do a acid wash followed by one more bartenders friend wash to re passivate the stainless. By then they are not clean then they go to the scrap yard.

I have all new rubber and new poppets.

The reason I'm doing this is I have a friend with 20+ of these so it may be worth it.

Thanks
G

Before you do the next pbw rinse, rinse with a small amount of dawn dish soap and very hot water. It should dissolve any oil residue if there is any.

Latest posts

Back