White Labs San Francisco Lager Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milkjuggz

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

This is my first post, glad I found this place!

Yesterday I pitched some White Labs SF Lager Yeast into an extract recipe at about 78 degrees.

Now, twenty hours later, there's no visible activity from the blowoff tube. The wort is probably sitting at about 65-70 degrees right now.

Is this yeast a slow starter? Did I perhaps receive a dead vial?

I have some safbrew s-33 on hand as a backup ready to pitch. Please advise!

George

RDWHAHB!

It can take 48-72 hours for a vial pitched to show activity. Next time you can drastically reduce this lag and assure the viability of the yeast by making a starter.

I am not familiar with this specific yeast, but I think you are pushing the upper temp limits...probably won't be a problem though.

Welcome!:mug:

Ok thanks for the replies guys. It's about 65 right now and I'm sure I can bring it down a few more degrees with my "swamp cooler."

Also, it's been about 44 hours since I pitched, and no airlock activity.

If it's not bubbling by tonight, I want to pitch the s33 I have as backup. Or should I still wait even an extra day?

I've never had such a long lag time with WL liquid yeast - I always get airlock activity within the first twelve hours...

~JuGGz

it's getting to the point where you may wish to repitch. too bad you don't have some more of the sf lager yeast...the s33 will give it a much different flavor. should still be good tho ;)

Well, she's rolling along.

So I guess the general consensus is... RDWMAFS

relax, don't worry, make a starter.

I should have done this since several months have passed since the "best before" date. Ohh getting back into things...

Latest posts

Back