Help with beer filtering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pietastersdnd

Reaction score
So I purchased one of the Midwest supplies home brew filter systems. Ive used it about 4-5 times now and none of the beers seem to be getting anywhere close to clear. Beer tastes great but its foggy in the glass. I'm currently using the cheap $2.99 nominal filters. I run it through the 5micron filter and then the .5 micron. Ive bought 2-3 new filters since I got the system so I'm not still using the same one that came in the box.

I'm curious if I'm filtering this incorrectly or if its maybe an issue with my brewing technique. I do use some flaked rice or corn in many of my beers (Under %20). I wonder if that has anything to do with it. I also wonder if I'm unrealistic about these cheap filters and should really be using the pro grade filters. Has anyone had this same issue?

I have very limited experience with filtering, I'm a bit of a germaphobe. But it sounds like chill haze, which is nothing more than proteins and tannins coagulating and reflecting light. Here is a pretty good article from BYO magazine breaking it down.

If you determine that it is not chill haze, I would recommend trying out unflavored genital technique. I have been using gelatin for 3 years and my beer are as clear as any macro commercial offering.

Do you chill the beer and then filter? The reason I ask is because if it's chill haze, it's not apparent at room temperature so the filter won't filter it out.

Chill the beer in the original keg, and then filter/transfer to another keg and it should work out. Use the coarse pads first, then use the finer pads on the next run.

I don't filter my beer, but I've been considering filtering my wines.

I think you might be right about the chill haze. I filtered and kegged the beer warm. I've tried gelatin before with mixed results. Given my current beer has been sitting in the keg and carbonated I won't filter again but will try to next time around. I'm wondering if I could fix this batch by putting some gelatin in tonight and let it sit for a day or two. In theory all the protein will drop to the bottoms. Maybe I could pour a pint out that would have all the stuff from the bottom leaving the rest of the beer clear. Would this work?

Back