Infection or Paranoia?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chays99

Reaction score
Hopefully this is a dumb question, but here is the back story:

I brewed my second ever batch two Saturdays ago. It's the AHS Greenbelt Pale Ale (mini-mash). At the recommendation from most here, I decided to do four weeks in the primary in lieu of racking to secondary. I had to sneak a peak today and saw the following. The reason I ask if this is a problem is simply because my first batch (AHS IPA) didn't look like this at all.

Other than this batch being mini mash in lieu of extract and the addition of whirlfloc in the last ten minutes of boil, I didn't do anything differently than the first time.

What do the experienced think? Am I ok?

Thanks in advance!

beer1.jpg

beer2.jpg

beer3.jpg

Looks like yeast rafts to me. It's fine. All fermentations look a little different.

Just to pile on...

You're okay. Relax, don't worry, and have a homebrew. ...Or six, if that makes you feel better. In a year or two, you'll look back on this and chuckle, hoisting a full pint to your nerves while sipping a fine, handcrafted ale of your own creation.

I had to dump an entire batch once that looked like this! Dumped down my gullet!

It looks fabulous! I am jealous, I am now going to brew tomorrow.

Thanks for the help fellas. I thought it was probably OK, but like I said, paranoia set in.

With this being my second batch, I still have the thought of "it's going to take me six or seven weeks to release I screwed up on brew day!".

Back