The making of malt extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IceFisherChris

Reaction score
So when the big shots make our malt extract, what type of grains are they using?
I'm interested if anyone knows exactly what they use for the different types.

Sorry I meant to say that I'm wondering about the specifics of it. What goes into their Amber, Gold, Dark, etc? It would give me an idea of what grains I am actually tasting.

that would depend on the manufacturer. I'm sure they all use more or less the same grains but they could use different quantities or add in their own blend on top of the basic recipe. i suggest going to the manufacturers website and see if they list the types of grains they use.

click on the PDF. for CBW® Golden Light LME it has an ingredient section which says Malted Barley, Water

right there in the description of the extract "Ingredients: Base Malt, Carapils® Malt."

click on the PDF. for CBW® Golden Light LME it has an ingredient section which says Malted Barley, Water

right there in the description of the extract "Ingredients: Base Malt, Carapils® Malt."

WTF? I checked that and just double checked it and no mention of anything other than Malted Barely , Water

It comes up as a .doc file and I have even done a word search and don't find "Carapils" in it. I get no further than "cara" before it turns red because of no match..... very strange indeed. Interesting since the extract version of Centennial Blonde calls for Carapils.....

Sorry I meant to say that I'm wondering about the specifics of it. What goes into their Amber, Gold, Dark, etc? It would give me an idea of what grains I am actually tasting.

That is one of the limitations of extract. Very few extract products, if any, have detailed information on the ingredients besides "barley malt & water". Making beer with amber and dark extract usually means you just don't know what the specialty ingredients were or their percentages. Using only light extract (and assuming it's mostly pale malt) and then adding specialty malts for all color changes and flavor tweaks is one way around the problem.

Northern Brewer's LME is just repackaged Briess. So if you want to know what is in Briess, just go off of what they list. For example, here's their amber malt:
Northern Brewer Amber is a mix of pale and Munich malt with Caramel 60 for a sweet malt flavor with caramel overtones.

Back