bulkhead build for keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

axr

Reaction score
Hey homebrewers-

I'm in the process of sourcing parts for my welded bulkhead build on my keg (acquired legally :rockin:). I'll be using a 1/2" stainless steel coupler on the keg and was going to use a 1/2" SS nipple to attach the ball valve to the coupler until I saw this:

Amazon.com: NuLine 1/2" Large Port M/f Forged Brass Ball Valve: Home Improvement

Seems like using this will save the need to use the 1/2" nipple from the coupler to the commonly used 1/2" F/F ball valve. I can then just attach a 1/2" brass barb to the end.

Has anyone used a 1/2" M/F Ball Valve in a welded bulkhead set up?

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe that is a chrome coating over forged brass. You may want to make sure that that type of material doesn't leach anything. I use a stainless Ball valve but I went with a brass nipple and brass barb fitting (because I had them). Next time I may just go all brass to save money.

This is the first I've seen of the M/F valve, but I would say go for it if you don't mind it being forged brass...? Here is one that says its stainless, but at that price you could definitely afford a nipple instead:

https://www.coleparmer.ca/catalog/product_view.asp?sku=3052904

Thanks physfarm.

Are there any inherent issues/concerns with forged brass? It seems like it would be able to handle brewing temps/pressure. What caught my attention was the M/F fittings and the thought of making the bulkhead a little more streamlined (I've seen some bulkheads come out 5-6" off the keg).

I'll have to defer to someone else on the chrome plating. I don't know and I couldn't find anything on it quickly. I know plain brass is ok, although some pickle it to clean the surface impurities (I haven't). There are some other threads on that.

I would assume it is fine, but hopefully someone else will verify for you. I'm interested as well.

All you need to be sure of is that is meets the NSF international 61 standard which means it cannot leach more then 5ppm lead.

The chrome is used in caustic jobs that don't require SS very hard to remove 90% of all Brass ball valves have chrome balls anyway and brass ends.

( its what I use on all mine btw all brass ball valve with chrome balls )

Latest posts

Back