Stirring out carbonation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freeballer

Reaction score
Quick question.

I'm making my first wine kit, and step three calls for stirring the wine into a froth while still in the carboy. The directions say you must stir the wine until all carbonation has dissapated and it no longer foams on top after stirring.

I have been stirring for an hour now and there doesn't appear to be in sight(foam keeps coming up).

Any ideas on how long this takes?

freeballer said:
Quick question.

I'm making my first wine kit, and step three calls for stirring the wine into a froth while still in the carboy. The directions say you must stir the wine until all carbonation has dissapated and it no longer foams on top after stirring.

I have been stirring for an hour now and there doesn't appear to be in sight(foam keeps coming up).

Any ideas on how long this takes?

I only made wine once, but I had a little propeller-type thing attached to a drill that I used to de-gas the wine. It took only about 5 or 10 minutes with that gizmo, but that thing whipped the wine so fast, it was actually causing it to foam on it's own.

Are you using man-power to de-gas, or you using some machine?

I've only made wine once, also. But I'd say, you're probably good, which you've probably already figured out. I stirred for about an hour and quit with foam still on the top and it tastes pretty good for the fifty dollar kit of wine.

If you've stirred it vigorously for an hour then i think you've done. You'll still have a little more CO2 coming out of it now so you may get some more airlock action. That's nothing to worry about though.

If you have a mity vac (the kind guys use to bleed brakes), you can hook that up to the carboy and degas. You can use your drill with a sanitized dowel, too. I just stir as hard as I can for as long as I can and keep doing that. It works eventually.

the other thing you can do is age it in a carboy a long time- over time, the gas does dissipate.

Lorena

Back