Berliner Weisse screwup?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phunhog

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Did my first BW today! Ran off and diluted my first runnings of a Biere de Mars for the BW into an old cooler/MLT. Used the White Labs Lacto culture and it's currently sitting at 100 F. Where I think I screwed up is that somehow I forgot to boil it for 15 minutes BEFORE chilling down to 100 F. How critical of an error will this be? My plan is to drain into my BK on Friday, boil for 60, chill, add a Kolsch yeast. Not a huge deal if it doesn't work..the BW was kind of an after thought.

Looked at it this morning. Nice fluffy white head with a nice, bready aroma. No bad aromas at all. Hopefully everything should go well!

Well started the boil.....my wife and kids thought it smelled like boiling vomit. Didn't detect much sourness either...I am just going to roll with it.

Well started the boil.....my wife and kids thought it smelled like boiling vomit. Didn't detect much sourness either...I am just going to roll with it.

The vomit is from clostridium, and has nothing to do with the lacto or souring. Vomit smell is not an indication of sourness. Actually, as the wort gets more sour, it halts the clostridium and minimizes the vomit smell.

Had a taste from the primary....absolutely awful!! Tastes like vomit too. Not going to give up though. I think I am going to pitch some Brett and see what happens. Apparently Brett can metabolize the butyric acid(vomit smell) into something a little more pleasing (pineapple) given enough time (6 months to a year).

Resurrecting from the dead. What ever became of the vomit beer? Did it turn out? I've got a spontaneous fermentation going on right now that smells a bit like vomit. It's only 1 gallons so I'm not against dumping it, but I wanted to know if there were other options.

Back