Fishing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Bob and I LOVE to fish. We joke all the time about how much money we've been spending over many years to become subsistence fishermen!

We've fished in Alaska, Canada, The Bahamas, Belize, Florida, and so on. (About three times in the Bahamas, and in Belize several different times, and of course Canada fly-in "bush" trips).

But it's still so much fun!

Here's what we had for lunch today:
DSCN0780.jpg

Bob fried it, and I made a great mango salsa with habanero, red onion, cilantro, lime, and of course mangoes.

Coming up soon:
DSCN0779.jpg

We need a few more, though!

I told Bob that so far, we've spent about $200 a pound for the fish, maybe more! But oh, is it fun and we're having great fun. I got a little sunburned today, but it felt so good to this Northerner to have sun on my poor white legs that I didn't mind a bit!

Jealous! SOunds yummy! I really love fishing too...but instead...I just got done shoveling snow! Bracing for the -25 temps coming! (with windchill) Maybe with some luck I can get to the ice-fishing shack on Sunday before the big game!

Fishing is great! I used to go down to the beach and fish all the time before I moved to the mountains. I remember catching halibut and we would have to measure them to make sure we could take it. My coolest catch so far is an actual shark, I caught a Thresher shark about 12" long! Wanted to keep him as a pet but they grow to over 20ft long.

Yooper, like you all, I have been fortunate to fish all over the world! I love to fish and dip crab/shrimp pots. I am envious of the weather in your pictures. The crab in the pot inspires me to get some Snow and King Crab, Razor Clams and Halibut out of the freezer for this weekend.
I hope your outtings continue to be successful and soak up some sun for us!

Nice catch! I would love to fish half of the places you mentioned! Canada/Alaska especially! We had a lake trout flown in fresh from Alaska and wrapped it in bacon...we put onions, lemon wedges, brown sugar and maple syrup in the cavity, threw it on the grill for 6 hours. Tasted great!

I can't wait to take my daughter fishing this spring. I think she's old enough to appreciate it now. I plan on trying out some of my little spots right here in the city from when I was a kid. If she enjoys that, I'll bring her upstate before the end of the summer.

I can't wait to take my daughter fishing this spring. I think she's old enough to appreciate it now. I plan on trying out some of my little spots right here in the city from when I was a kid. If she enjoys that, I'll bring her upstate before the end of the summer.

We've always taken our kids fishing, and now our grandson. He loves to catch "Biggills" (bluegills!). As much as I love being down south in the winter, I sure miss my little buddy!

Bob pulled up a nice flounder from the back yard this AM:
DSCN0783.jpg

I think I'll clean the crabs (not enough for a full meal), and make flounder stuffed with crabmeat for dinner tomorrow.

I am so jealous... Fresh flounder rocks! Bob's certainly pullin' his weight lately, at least on the dinner table!

Gotta' go scrape the snow and ice off the windshield and head to work :^(

Yooper, Where do you actually live? You mention up north and then you show pics from today of you somewhere in the Gulf Coast? I wish I could move south for the winter. I miss where I grew up in Louisiana...We used to catch HUGE catfish down there!

Now that I live in Virginia the catfish aren't the same but I have found enjoyment out of trips over the mountains to West Virginia to trout fish in the mountain streams! that is unlike any other kind of fishing, so peaceful and serene. I've done some shore fishing off the Outer Banks of NC and caught some striped bass on the sound side but man I wish I had more time to fish! Between my homebrewing hobbies and motorcycling anytime I get the chance I simply don't have the free time to fish much.

It might be sacrilege since I live in some world class fishing at least for trout but the only fishing I do is in the cooler for another beer.

But I love to go out and camp while my daughter fishes.

I live in the UP of Michigan, about 150 miles north and west of Green Bay. But in the winter, we've been going to S. Texas, on the Gulf Coast, for a couple of months.

My friends sent an email from home- they went ice fishing yesterday and got a couple of legal walleye.

We're going to throw the kayaks in the water later this morning, and go out and see if we can pick up a few redfish.

Yea if I lived in the arctic tundra I'd head south in winter too!

Anything below 32F is too cold as far as I'm concerned.

Yea if I lived in the arctic tundra I'd head south in winter too!

Anything below 32F is too cold as far as I'm concerned.

The funny thing is, for many years my brother-in-law has called Bob "Tundra Ted". In fact, one of my BIL's best friends thought Bob's name WAS "Ted" and called him that for several years.

Tundra Ted is now Beach Bob. :D

That flounder sounds delicious. When my ex-uncle was selling gourmet food to restaurants, they got a lot of gourmet food to take home. Once time they made Stuffed Sole, which I can imagine woudl be very similar. It had a cheese in there that went so good with the rest of the dish. Strange.

Also got to try escargot. Not bad. Tasted like garlic and butter...

Good on you, always take your kids fishing! ...and hunting, camping, etc.

Yep, 2 boys and 2 girls for me. Only the youngest girl didn't take to the outdoors and the oldest daughter is my most avid outdoors person!

That flounder sounds delicious. When my ex-uncle was selling gourmet food to restaurants, they got a lot of gourmet food to take home. Once time they made Stuffed Sole, which I can imagine woudl be very similar. It had a cheese in there that went so good with the rest of the dish. Strange.

Also got to try escargot. Not bad. Tasted like garlic and butter...

I love how you bust my chops about having fancy New York tastes, and then post something like this ;)

I love how you bust my chops about having fancy New York tastes, and then post something like this ;)

:D

Trust me, that was a rare, exceptional summer vacation.

And I think the cheese was Monterey Jack.

Usually our choice of fish for dinner was limited to Bluegill or Pike. (Which are pretty good too IMO!)

Well, we kayaked out from our house into the bay, and Bob got this nice redfish. We got a few oysters, too, but otherwise nothing for me. I did drink a beer, though, and saw lots of egrets and herons, with a few willets thrown in!
DSCN0799.jpg

Now, it's naptime and then a long walk with the dog. I tell you, retirement is hard work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rockin:

I posted this on Facebook, so if you're one of my Facebook friends, just ignore this!
DSCN0807.jpg

DSCN0809.jpg

DSCN0812.jpg

Yep, that's right. Fresh oysters, and margaritas with freshly squeezed lime. (Please don't look at the messy house or our laundry room through the door!)

We put the oysters on the grill and served with lemon and hot sauce. They were so good!

You guys harvested those oysters? Awesome!

I'm drinking a margarita myself right now. I'm telling you, beer is getting a run for its money lately with me.

Yeah, we harvested them! We put the kayaks in at our house, and paddled out and picked them up. And we did some fishing besides.

Today, I hooked the biggest redfish of my life I think. I was kayaking back to the pier, and just fishing with light tackle. I got a HUGE redfish, and he dragged me, kayak and all, into a pier. I actually horsed him out and paddled while I held on to him, and got him up to the kayak. I swear, it was 27" long and really fat and big. And just as I thought, "oh, boy, I'm actually going to land him"- he bent the hook completely straight and got off!

Bob saw the whole thing from about 50 yards away, and was just amazed at my rod- it was bent completely over while I held it up. He did a big splash up at the surface, so I got a good look, and then he was finally gone.

It was great fun, and my arms hurt afterwards! Of course, the margaritas helped ease my pain.

I don't know if you can tell in the photos, but I'm not wearing lipstick! Even my lips are sunburnt today. But the oysters are worth it, and so was the fishing.

I gave up my addiction to fishing to start brewing. I was spending all my time and resources to become a pro fisherman and was neglecting my family. I decided life was too short to spend it alone so I sold my heavy fishing gear and larger boats. I am originally from upstate New York and lived on the St. Lawrence river. I moved to Md and its here where I really got the fishing bug. My fishing has been limited in the past couple years and now that my son is older I am going to get back in for fun. Most of my fiends still have large boats for bay fishing and I have some camping land on a lake in VA. Fishing from the Kayaks is in my future for sure. Your very lucky Yooper, don't be upset about the one that got away. It's the one that get's away that keeps you coming back for more!

I love to fish. I usually go once or twice a year up to the lassen area to go trout fishing. I can't wait until my son is a few years older so I can start taking him with me on the outdoors type stuff. I'll start him out fishing and hiking and camping, but I don't think I'll take him on any hunting trips until he's at least 10-12.

Nice fish! Good times! I miss fishing with my Dad, he lives in Michigan and we only get to see each every few years or so.

Subsailor said:
Nice fish! Good times! I miss fishing with my Dad, he lives in Michigan and we only get to see each every few years or so.

Ya, I'm lucky. My dad has a boat moored about an hour from my house, so we get to fish together all the time.

Back