Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer Andes Mint Chocolate Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Didn't get to cracking that beer open... got distracted by carving pumpkins and Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale. Tonight should be good though :mug:

Im also very curious about your taste test. Just finished brewing this up and pitching yeast like 20 mins ago...bring it on hurricane sandy! didn't taste much chocolate after wort was cooled and the Carrington peppermint tea I used tasted more "tea-y" than minty, but will see how it finishes on bottling day. was slightly concerned about extracting tannins by adding tea to last 5 mins of boil but went along with everyone else's method anyway- all the instructions for making the tea said boil water then take off heat and add to bags so considered steeping 5 mins after flameout (i dont think 3 tea bags will be too big of a deal though).

might consider adding an Altoids/vodka infusion or peppermint extract if the mint is too far gone on bottling day. it had a slight cooling sensation at the end of the taste. did a 1 gallon batch hitting 1.064, had .8 oz of unsweetened cocoa powder but upped the tea bags from 2 to 3. cant wait to try! thanks for the recipe.

Im also very curious about your taste test. Just finished brewing this up and pitching yeast like 20 mins ago...bring it on hurricane sandy! didn't taste much chocolate after wort was cooled and the Carrington peppermint tea I used tasted more "tea-y" than minty, but will see how it finishes on bottling day. was slightly concerned about extracting tannins by adding tea to last 5 mins of boil but went along with everyone else's method anyway- all the instructions for making the tea said boil water then take off heat and add to bags so considered steeping 5 mins after flameout (i dont think 3 tea bags will be too big of a deal though).

might consider adding an Altoids/vodka infusion or peppermint extract if the mint is too far gone on bottling day. it had a slight cooling sensation at the end of the taste. did a 1 gallon batch hitting 1.064, had .8 oz of unsweetened cocoa powder but upped the tea bags from 2 to 3. cant wait to try! thanks for the recipe.

The lack of peppermint flavor might be due to the tea bags used. I specifically use Celestial Seasonings peppermint tea because it is ONLY peppermint leaves - no tea leaves at all.

the Carrington box lists "100% natural peppermint" as the only thing under ingredients. will just have to see what happens i suppose! could have also been influenced by the fact that i am getting over a cold, so tastebuds aren't quite 100%

Didn't get to cracking that beer open... got distracted by carving pumpkins and Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale. Tonight should be good though :mug:

do tell. I'm looking to brew this in a week or so and looking into the different mint options.

i sat in the primary for 2 weeks, racked onto .5 oz spearmint. Gonna let it sit for about 5 days, then bottle with about 60% of the recommended peppermint extract. I may do 75%. I really want this beer to warm your mouth up. We'll see how it turns out

i sat in the primary for 2 weeks, racked onto .5 oz spearmint. Gonna let it sit for about 5 days, then bottle with about 60% of the recommended peppermint extract. I may do 75%. I really want this beer to warm your mouth up. We'll see how it turns out

Sjorge, what did you do with the spearmint? Did you cut them up, or infuse them in vodka or just dump them in whole leafed?

Jeez it's about freakin time I drank the year old version of this.

I used 6 bags of Raley's Full Circle Organic Peppermint Tea (100% peppermint) in 3.5 gallons. After a year the bitterness of the cocoa has severely subdued and, you'll never believe this, the mint had a very strong presence. Not overpowering but definitely there.

Jeez it's about freakin time I drank the year old version of this.

I used 6 bags of Raley's Full Circle Organic Peppermint Tea (100% peppermint) in 3.5 gallons. After a year the bitterness of the cocoa has severely subdued and, you'll never believe this, the mint had a very strong presence. Not overpowering but definitely there.

Thanks for the taste test!

I'm thinking about giving this a shot, seems like it would definitely be a good wintertime/dessert brew. I did have a question though. When I load the recipe into my software, I get an OG of 1.040. This seems low to me and would allow for a ~4%ABV. Although with only 8 lbs of 2-row it does make sense. What OG are people typically getting with this recipe?

I'm thinking about giving this a shot, seems like it would definitely be a good wintertime/dessert brew. I did have a question though. When I load the recipe into my software, I get an OG of 1.040. This seems low to me and would allow for a ~4%ABV. Although with only 8 lbs of 2-row it does make sense. What OG are people typically getting with this recipe?

My typical OG is listed in the first post. I usually get around 1.060, but anywhere around 1.054 and up is probably fine. What is your efficiency calculated at?

I've only done a couple of all grain batches at this point. My efficiency is somewhere around 70% right now. Obviously I need to get this up, I'm working with some pretty basic equipment at this time. I don't really mind having a lower ABV, but I do want to make sure the taste isn't altered.

I've only done a couple of all grain batches at this point. My efficiency is somewhere around 70% right now. Obviously I need to get this up, I'm working with some pretty basic equipment at this time. I don't really mind having a lower ABV, but I do want to make sure the taste isn't altered.

My guess is there's something in your calculated efficiency not translating over to your actual brew process. That's the only thing that could account for the drop in OG - if you calculated for 70% but only hit 60% or lower, that would explain the drop.

Thinking about going ahead and brewing this recipe. Would you stick to your recommendation of 4 oz cocoa powder + 6-8 Peppermint tea bags in last 10 of brew?

Made a slightly modified version of this beer last year for the holidays turned out great. had two bottles that survied the winter and sent them to the sam adams long shots comp and got the score sheets back yesterday didnt score that high because i enterd it as a stout and all the comments said that it was very good and would have done much better in the spiced beer cat. bottled this years batch tonight. thanks for the recipe

I took a slightly modified version of this to a homebrew meeting the other day and everyone was loving it. So now I'm brewing this once again today. Gonna switch to US 2 row and use 6 or 6.5 oz of chocolate as I want more of mouth feel with that. I used 5oz last time and it takes the chocolate some extra time to roll through on the mouth feel. Hopefully the additional chocolate will make it more prevalent through the entire beer.

Thinking about brewing something along these lines. Has anyone had any issues with the cocoa powder clogging plate chillers? Also my LHBS carries wyeast Irish ale yeast have people brewed with this strain? And at what temp? I'm worried about too much fruity esters. Maybe use Denny's fav 50?

Thinking about brewing something along these lines. Has anyone had any issues with the cocoa powder clogging plate chillers? Also my LHBS carries wyeast Irish ale yeast have people brewed with this strain? And at what temp? I'm worried about too much fruity esters. Maybe use Denny's fav 50?

The original recipe is with the White Labs Irish Ale. I doubt there will be too much difference using the Wyeast version.

cracked one open thats been in the bottle for 2 weeks. was worried and skeptical after bottling day taste but everything is rounding out nicely. the aroma is strong of mint- no vegetal flavors. thin tan creamy head- the supposed oils in cocoa powder were not a problem. when you taste it the mint hits you right up front, followed by a slight chocolate that mixes with it, then they both fade to more of a generic stout but the mint lingers on to the finish. great recipe, cant wait to see how the flavors develop. my only concern was a slightly 1 dimensional character due to my use of safale us 05, its too clean and will rebrew this with a more appropriate strain of yeast.

IMG_5105 (524x699).jpg

@brewbeery: Thanks for the review and pic! Sounds like a nice recipe indeed. You mention the yeast strain being a bit inappropriate - what strain would you consider trying out next, and why? (noob brewer here)

@brewbeery: Thanks for the review and pic! Sounds like a nice recipe indeed. You mention the yeast strain being a bit inappropriate - what strain would you consider trying out next, and why? (noob brewer here)

I'd recommend the original yeast strain used in the recipe: WLP004, Irish Ale. :)

Brewed this yesterday with 4oz powder and 10 tea bags. Should I leave the bags in the primary or take them out?

Just brewed this recipe today and am definitely looking forward to how it turns out! thanks for the recipe!

Quick question regarding fermentation temps: I brewed a mini-batch of this on the 28th, and I was able to get it down to 68 pretty quickly. But over the past two days or so it's climbed to 70 and won't budge. I've had it in a water bath since it was pitched, and I'm not sure I can hook up a fan or anything like that to help drop it again.

Long story short - how far out of the ideal fermentation temp can I be without risking off-flavors?

This. I'd be concerned about tannin extraction (are there tannins in peppermint?... maybe...) and severe over-flavoring.

Not sure about tannins, but if you've ever over-steeped a cup of tea you're going to experience the same thing over time in your fermentation. It isn't nice.

Quick question regarding fermentation temps: I brewed a mini-batch of this on the 28th, and I was able to get it down to 68 pretty quickly. But over the past two days or so it's climbed to 70 and won't budge. I've had it in a water bath since it was pitched, and I'm not sure I can hook up a fan or anything like that to help drop it again.

Long story short - how far out of the ideal fermentation temp can I be without risking off-flavors?

Is that 70 degrees your ambient temperature or your fermentation temperature?

White Labs lists WLP004 as having an optimum temperature of 65-68 degrees. 70 isn't too bad if the temperature you're referring to is fermentation temperature.

Fermentation temp. I'm reasonably sure it'll be ok. Just wasn't sure what to expect (if anything) from the slight elevation.

I will say, for my first brew I'm kinda unimpressed with the fermentation action. It was lively as hell for the first day and a half or so, but now it's virtually still. There is still fermentation going on, but it's much more subdued than I was expecting. :(

Fermentation temp. I'm reasonably sure it'll be ok. Just wasn't sure what to expect (if anything) from the slight elevation.

I will say, for my first brew I'm kinda unimpressed with the fermentation action. It was lively as hell for the first day and a half or so, but now it's virtually still. There is still fermentation going on, but it's much more subdued than I was expecting. :(

Fermentation is always the most boring part for me.

I was going to keg this today. Are you guys adding more tea bags to the keg? I used 10 bags at the end of the boil, but the mint flavor seems pretty faint right now.

On a side note, I was always under the impression that you only had to worry about overstepping black, green, and white teas. I thought you didn't have to worry about overstepping herbal teas. Maybe mint is an exception though.

Just an update for everyone. I've brewed this twice now and the first time followed the directions to a T except only 5 oz of chocolate. Second time jumped to 7oz with WL Burton ale yeast. The Burton was way too active for this stout. Way over carbonated and I only used 4oz of dextrose at bottling. Needless to say. Non beer drinkers like this beer and so do seasoned beer snobs. This will probably become my house stout recipe. Next time going to make it a coffee stout with fresh pressed Brazilian coffee.

Latest posts

Back