Do I need the cover on both sides of the gang box?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonPaul

Reaction score
I'm starting to plan my electric brew system and specifically, adding an element to my HLT (sanke keg).

I'm thinking of using a single gang box and I'm wondering if it's absolutely necessary to put the additional gang box cover (like kal does) on the back of the gang box, instead of just attaching the back of the gang box directly to the keg.

If the back of the gang box is flat, shouldn't it work just as well without the gang box cover there?

Thoughts?

I believe the problem would be that its harder to cut an exact size hole for the element directly in the gang box.

If you punch the 1 1/4" hole directly in the gang box then you can probably skip the back plate.

I think what he is dealing with is a gang box with a 1" trade size threaded hole already in the back. An element can be screwed right into this. My concern would be the amount of threads left on the element to get purchase on the nut or coupler inside the keg. There isn't much thread on the element and I doubt there will be enough unless you punch that hole and let it come through the box flush with the blank cover.

I would just go with 1/2" holed box and make that hole in the back as Kal instructs.

Back