Munton's Carb drops...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JHamm

Reaction score
History of my dilemma:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/bottled-too-little-priming-sugar-162924/

so my LHBS didn't have the coopers. instead, they had the muntons carb drops. Per instruction I added 4 per 12 oz bottle. My issue is I've read mediocre reviews regarding muntons leaving floaters and such. Is there anything I can do in the next few weeks to eliminate that issue? Also, I added the drops by hand but made sure my hands were clean and kept resanitizing them...is that ok?

Anywho, picked up an Imperial Blonde Ale today for my second brew this weekend :)

4 per bottle? thats what the instructions said? when i used them i just used one per 12oz and they were a lil over carbonated...

actually, i think i just went against the directions and added 1. but yea i got floaties also... it happened to me again and i just used 1/4 tsp of table sugar per bottle...

eh...well, I'm wondering if I go in the room every couple of days and swirl the bottles if that'll help break them apart more. I don't know. First batch has gone without much of a hitch so far and I want it to turn out well. any tips for these munton drops would be appreciated.

eh...well, I'm wondering if I go in the room every couple of days and swirl the bottles if that'll help break them apart more.
I've only used these once and it was only because I did the same thing you did and didn't add enough sugar. Swirling them around may help with the floats, but i doubt it. Also(someone correct me if i'm wrong) I would think that swirling the bottles around would get the settled yeast suspended in the beer again meaning you would have to let them condition longer or have a hazy beer...

I've only used these once and it was only because I did the same thing you did and didn't add enough sugar. Swirling them around may help with the floats, but i doubt it. Also(someone correct me if i'm wrong) I would think that swirling the bottles around would get the settled yeast suspended in the beer again meaning you would have to let them condition longer or have a hazy beer...

Yeah, I see your point. putting the bottles in the fridge a day or so before opening may help alleviate that issue, though. just hoping the tabs disintegrate enough to not have these floaties.

I have a question, because i have never used these. Are they just sugar that the yeast consumes or does the tab itself emmit the Co2?

Mutons are about 1/4 the size of Coopers. The Coopers are the size of a cough drop, and the Mutons are the size of a pea.

Never used the Mutons brand, but have never had a floatie issue with any form of carbonation.

I used some Muntons in some Apfelwein that I made. I wanted it sparkly so I used 5 in the 12 oz bottles and 9 in the 22 oz bottles cam out fine.I just swirled them around every few days for the first 2 weeks and everything is dissolved.

I just used these for a few bottles going to a competition, how long does it normally take to carb? They'd been at 70 degrees for about 2 weeks but I have no idea how they are being stored in the mean time?

Back