Amarillo/Cascade/Willamette Dry hop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam78K

Reaction score
has anyone had any experience dry hoping all of these together? Also have come citra hops how would those work in the mix and what ratio?

I've not done those.

What I do:
Take 'em together and put a scosh (just a wee bit) of 'em in a cup of hot just boiled water. Then inhale through your nose of the steamy bouquet.
If you like that, you'll prolly like the combination in the beer.

The only hops I don't like are cat pee hops
Simcoe & cascade tend to bring that out
But then some people like tom cats, so who is to judge?
I just won't be spending any time in their domicile, thank you very much.
Gaddammet cat pissed on evrthink

I've dryhopped with Willamette and Cascade together once (1:1 ratio Willamette/Cascade). I wasn't a huge fan. The Cascade overpowered the Willamette for sure, leaving my nose and taste buds with mostly the intense grapefruit (or cat pee, as some prefer) of the Cascade. Now, Cascade and Amarillo together... that's what I'm talking about (and also what I'm drinking right now)! This combo works much better together IMHO, as the Amarillo adds a lot more citrus complexity to the Cascade flavor/aroma.

IMO, cascade, amarillo nor williamette are "cat pee"... Although cat piss is something I have experience with (do NOT ask), Citra and Simcoe in large doses can be a bit bitter/musty.

^FM is correct, however, that cascade will overpower williamette. IMO, do the cascade first (grapefruit, NOT cat piss), and then do the amarillo (apricot, floral) in a 2-step dry-hop.

If it tastes like cat piss, send it to me: I will drink it :)

WARNING: MY OPINION ONLY!

I have found that the order of dry-hopping makes a difference. The grapefruit aroma of the cascade will not be over-written by the amarillo's aroma. They will blend nicely. I have done cascade and then centennial, and the cascade is lost from the pungent yumminess of the centennial (I LOVE centennial, BTW).

Just my $0.02... your mileage may vary.

Back