Argentine Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexLaw

Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I picked up some of these recently out of curiosity and after reading Northern Brewer's description:

These Argentinian-grown Cascades are not like American Cascade - they have a very mellow and sweet character that reminds us of lemon grass, with herbal, peppery, and spicy undertones. A versatile hop to use for ales and lagers - strangely, with its sweet/spicy aroma this hop would make a good substitute for Hallertau-type and Goldings-type hops, but not a good substitute for American Cascade!

I'm not quite sure how to describe them any better right now (although I want to check it out again this evening). This is a very interesting hop, distinct from from anything else, somewhat like a citrusy Styrian Goldings. The first thing I thought of was a witbier, but these could work well in any Belgian style. A Belgian Pale, Strong Golden, or Trippel would kick butt with these. They would also make an interesing Pilsner, Kölsch, or American Wheat. German wheat beers would love some of these hops, and I bet they could really shine in a Roggenbier!

I agree that these are, in no way, a good substitute for American Cascades. However, they should blend well with American hops and could add some interesting complexity to the American Ales when used in late additions or first wort hopping. You could certainly make a very tasty beer using these as your exclusive late addition hops, but do not expect a medal from Category 10.

They are only good for bittering your lightest styles, as the bag I received says they are 3.2% AA.

I really hope these hops catch on!

TL

I've been hearing about them a lot lately. This is the kind of thing that I was hoping to see out of the shortage, new ideas! Keep us updated on your results...

Will do. I was thinking about a witbier, but I might want to do something that showcases these hops more than that. I might do an APA style beer with these for the late addition.

Also, as best as I can tell, they are available only in pellet form. I even got these things from Freshops, and they are pellets. That doesn't bother me in the least, but I do not want any whole hop guys to be disappointed.

TL

TexLaw said:
Will do. I was thinking about a witbier, but I might want to do something that showcases these hops more than that. I might do an APA style beer with these for the late addition.

Also, as best as I can tell, they are available only in pellet form. I even got these things from Freshops, and they are pellets. That doesn't bother me in the least, but I do not want any whole hop guys to be disappointed.

TL

I'm fine with pellets. How about a modest APA dryhopped with them? That's what I'd probably try...

Seems to me that if they're wildly different than the american cascade that we all know and love, then maybe they should give them a new name to avoid confusion... There's already so many named varieties out there to try to keep track of, one more wouldn't hurt :p

I don't remember. I bought a half pound off of Freshops during that short time they carried them, and I was half in the bag when I did it. I'm sure it was in their typical $1.70-2.00 range, and I want to say it was on the lower end of that range.

TL

I used these in a brown ale. The ones I had were very earthy and organic with very little citrus note. Similar to EKG. I think they work nicely in the English styles but I will likely stick with the traditional hops unless someone has a revelation about a style they are great for.

Curious how that beer turned out. Did you end up dry hopping with them?

It came out great. I posted the recipe as "Argentine Gold." Check my pull-down for it. I've brewed it since that first batch and still like it very much. I added more rye, but that wasn't as good, so I scaled it back to the original recipe.

I did shift the balance a little more towards the Pilsner malt and liked that very much, although the difference was subtle. I'll go back and forth on that, as my mood dictates. Either way it's a very tasty beer - easy and cheap to make and ready very quickly.

TL

It came out great. I posted the recipe as "Argentine Gold." Check my pull-down for it. I've brewed it since that first batch and still like it very much. I added more rye, but that wasn't as good, so I scaled it back to the original recipe.

I did shift the balance a little more towards the Pilsner malt and liked that very much, although the difference was subtle. I'll go back and forth on that, as my mood dictates. Either way it's a very tasty beer - easy and cheap to make and ready very quickly.

TL

These hops are prety interesting, they work well in combination with regular cascade hops.

So they're like a more citrusy Hallertau?

I'd say they have that noble hop taste with a little citrus twang, they would be really interesting to blend with Hallertau Saaz or Vangaurd and maybe hit with Sorachi Ace or something to bring the citrus out.

I used it in a blend with Vanguard and Liberty for the 20 min addition in my Red ale. It came out spicier than the Sterling it subbed for. It scored 35.5 and won a blue ribbon. I like Sterling better in that recipe.

These hops are hard to find now. I only see them at Midwest and they are only 1.5 AA. I'd defiantly buy more if I found a good deal on them.

These hops are hard to find now. I only see them at Midwest and they are only 1.5 AA. I'd defiantly buy more if I found a good deal on them.

Austin Homebrew had them not too long back. I purchased a lb for not a lot of money.

I've used them for flavor and aroma in a Hefe with good results.

I dry hopped Jamil's West Coast Blaster American Amber Ale with 2oz Argentina Cascade in the keg. It is really nice. I perceived an earthy, kinda spicy aroma (similar to black pepper) and flavor early on. Now after 3 weeks the spicy component has mellowed and I am still liking it. I think the hops enhance the light roasted character of the pale chocolate in the recipe.

I wish I had better words to describe my perceptions of taste.

I just bought up a pound of these shipped for $14.95! can't beat a deal like that. I am really getting into brewing kolsch style ales and pseudo lager style beers so I am hoping these work great for that.

they are the 2007 crop, but midwest takes great care of their hops. I recently brewed an IPA with 2007 simcoe that turned out great, with good aroma too..so I am not concerned.

Latest posts

Back