Cellaring temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cweston

Reaction score
How high is too high?

I'm fairly new to homebrewing, and looking for a used fridge to go in the basement and be a beer fridge, but I'm cheap so I'm waiting for the price to be right.

On the floor of my basement, on the far side from the furnace, it's a pretty constant 60 degrees. I think it's actually a bit cooler in the summer, because I live in Kansas where winter is mild but summer isn't--so the AC runs a lot in the summer.

I know 60 is above the ideal cellaring temp. But I want to try some Belgians or other higher-gravity, longer aging brews. Is 60 acceptable, or should I stick to brewing beers for quick consumption until I get a beer fridge?

Thanks.

i agree with BeeGee. that's about prime for cellaring an ale for a short or extended amount of time. i say go for it!

I third the motion that 60 will be perfect for all ales and even a few lagers. Wyeast has a few lager strains that have higher temperature ranges while still maintaining lager characteristics. 2112 (woo hoo! Rush!) California Lager comes to mind. I've never tried it, but I'm sure some of the big dogs around here could tell you how it works.

Back