Upright Keezer, 8 taps, 11 kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonW

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I recently built a new keezer that I keep in my garage. I was previously running 6 taps and I wanted to expand just a little more, but I also wanted to add storage for a few kegs to cold condition them.

I decided to go with an upright (frost-free) freezer for the smaller footprint.

Here's what I built:

Keezer_Finished.jpg

The basic freezer is a Frigidaire 20 CF upright.
Before_Mods1.jpg

Before_Mods2.jpg

You can fit 6 kegs on the top shelf and 5 on the bottom. By only doing 5 on the bottom, you can maintain all the door shelves. If you want to do 6 on the bottom, you'll need to remove some of the door shelves. There is a hump on the back wall that forces the kegs forward a bit on the lower section. I also added a 2x2 wood frame to support the freezer shelf.
11_Keg_Capacity.jpg

I removed two wires from the shelf to open an area between the kegs to route the lines up from under the shelf. When 6 kegs are on the top shelf, there is a natural gap/hole in the middle of the kegs that was perfect for routing the lines.

Line_Routing.jpg

I drilled 4 holes through the back wall. One hole is for my temp probe and the other 3 are for gas lines. I used 3/8" SS tubing bent in a 90 degree radius to poke through the back wall. I then crimp on the 5/16" gas lines to the SS tubing on both the inside and outside. This makes it clean on the inside and also gives the bend on the outside to minimize the space behind the keezer so you can push it all the way against the wall.
Gas_Lines.jpg

I mounted the 8 port manifold for CO2 and a 2 port manifold for nitrogen/co2 under the shelf frame.
Gas_Manifold.jpg

I used 90 degree tail pieces for the inside of the shanks to minimize the space needed for the lines. I also bought extra shank collars to use on the inside of the door so that the shank nut had a larger surface area to compress against the inside wall. I drilled a 2" hole in one of the shelves and routed the lines through that hole. This was to keep the lines organized and to position them right below the keg shelf. Having 5 kegs on the bottom also provided slack space on the end for the lines to collapse into when the door closes.
Inside_Door.jpg

Here's a summary of my build costs. I re-used some items I already had, so I didn't include costs for those (425SS faucets, CO2/Nitro tanks & regulators).

Build_Cost.png

Yes. It's got me thinking.

LOL, that's how this whole project got started. I had two Kenmore (Haier) triple tap kegerators side by side. A friend had a 4 tap chest/collared keezer. We were both saying we wanted a couple more taps, but we didn't want the huge footprint of a huge chest freezer or the cost of a big Bev-Air or similar kegerator.

We decided to research the sizes of upright freezers and decided that this was doable with a 20CF model. We both sourced uprights off Craigslist within a week of each other. We then bought all of our components together and split the costs and built identical keezers. I'm very happy with the way it turned out.

Awesome build. How did you attach the drip tray? I just bought one to attach to my keezer and not see how to do it.

Awesome build. How did you attach the drip tray? I just bought one to attach to my keezer and not see how to do it.

90 Degree wood triangles, painted and then attached to the wall via 3M tape. There is velcro on the top edge to hold the tray onto the brackets. It is very sturdy.

I just checked from another internet connection and they're coming up fine. The costs are a PNG image and the build pics are JPG's. Maybe there's something up with your browser filtering the JPG's?:confused:

yea no one else complained, but its weird. Never had an issue before and I can still see pics on every other thread I open.

restarted pc, can see them now. Not sure if you changed something in the mean time.

Yeah, I changed from back slash to forward slash. I'm guessing you're not on IE? I know it doesn't care what direction the slashes are. I sometimes copy my URL's from Windows Explorer and just add the HTTP header so they come out with back slashes when I post them.

not on IE here, firefox for me. Awesome build. If I didnt already have a huge chest freezer that I am converting for my brewshed id be on the hunt for one like this.

Do you notice any difference in temp between the kegs on the bottom and those on the top? That thing really is amazing. And what is avenue more impressive is that you still have shelf space on the door for bottles and cans

hell of a setup... I feel bad for you when the back, center, top keg goes dry!
I only have to move one keg to get the back one out.

Do you notice any difference in temp between the kegs on the bottom and those on the top?
Temps are stable top and bottom. Full kegs tend to stabilize the temps pretty good between everything that's in there. Plus, the freezer has a recirculation fan on when it is chilling.

I'm working on something very similar, but with less taps. I've got 3 now, but I'd like to have 5 or 6. Great job man! Clean

Now it I could only sell my current keezer to make this one...

Simply an awesome build and solves a lot of cold conditioning/ storage issues.

JonW said:
I recently built a new keezer that I keep in my garage. I was previously running 6 taps and I wanted to expand just a little more, but I also wanted to add storage for a few kegs to cold condition them.

I decided to go with an upright (frost-free) freezer for the smaller footprint.

Here's what I built:

The basic freezer is a Frigidaire 20 CF upright.

You can fit 6 kegs on the top shelf and 5 on the bottom. By only doing 5 on the bottom, you can maintain all the door shelves. If you want to do 6 on the bottom, you'll need to remove some of the door shelves. There is a hump on the back wall that forces the kegs forward a bit on the lower section. I also added a 2x2 wood frame to support the freezer shelf.

I removed two wires from the shelf to open an area between the kegs to route the lines up from under the shelf. When 6 kegs are on the top shelf, there is a natural gap/hole in the middle of the kegs that was perfect for routing the lines.

I drilled 4 holes through the back wall. One hole is for my temp probe and the other 3 are for gas lines. I used 3/8" SS tubing bent in a 90 degree radius to poke through the back wall. I then crimp on the 5/16" gas lines to the SS tubing on both the inside and outside. This makes it clean on the inside and also gives the bend on the outside to minimize the space behind the keezer so you can push it all the way against the wall.

I mounted the 8 port manifold for CO2 and a 2 port manifold for nitrogen/co2 under the shelf frame.

I used 90 degree tail pieces for the inside of the shanks to minimize the space needed for the lines. I also bought extra shank collars to use on the inside of the door so that the shank nut had a larger surface area to compress against the inside wall. I drilled a 2" hole in one of the shelves and routed the lines through that hole. This was to keep the lines organized and to position them right below the keg shelf. Having 5 kegs on the bottom also provided slack space on the end for the lines to collapse into when the door closes.

Here's a summary of my build costs. I re-used some items I already had, so I didn't include costs for those (425SS faucets, CO2/Nitro tanks & regulators).

This thing is gorgeous man. Nicely done.

That is just fantastic, I have a kegerator that probably takes up just slightly smaller footprint and only has three taps. Living in a one bedroom apartment it's all about footprint space. I will definitely be moving to something like this.

Question for you where is the cold plate on this freezer? Is it on the back wall? I have only researched chest freezers ( I have two). Would love the smaller footprint for my garage. Do all the upright freezers this size have basically the same layout as yours does? Awsome build by the way you did a great job keeping it clean looking!

Question for you where is the cold plate on this freezer? Is it on the back wall? I have only researched chest freezers ( I have two). Would love the smaller footprint for my garage. Do all the upright freezers this size have basically the same layout as yours does? Awsome build by the way you did a great job keeping it clean looking!

Yes, most of the upright frost-free freezers are pretty much the same. The chiller coil is in the back wall with a recirculation fan in there. It pulls in air from the bottom vent and outputs cold air from the top.

One more question for you how did you get your brewery name on your corney's? Is that a sticker?

I have a vinyl cutter that I make the stickers with.

older stand up freezers have coolant running through some/all of the shelves. make sure that the shelves you need removed are removable if buying used.

I had been contemplating making a kezzer for quite some time and was looking at making a chest freezer setup until came across your build. This is a great DYI project I just couldn't pass up. I was able to find the Kennmore version of this freezer for only 120 buck on CL and inside looks exactly like your freezer, execpt the Kennmore fridge has adjustable/removable door shelves.

Thanks for the great post.
Zorin

Jon,

Which neon markers are you using on that black dry erase? I've been through two different sets of markers on mine and they don't show up worth a crap on the black board.

Back