My cider is slow, please help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calimainer

Reaction score
I have a 5 gallon batch of cider going and it's bubbling very slowly. It's been a week since it began fermentation and it's consistently bubbled once every 7 seconds, is this slow? It's been at a pretty constant 68 F (maybe varying by 2 degrees either way). I'm using ale yeast, and I've added 4 cups of honey and 2 lbs. of dextrose.
Any ideas or is this bubble frequency normal?
Thanks in advance.

Bubbles in the airlock is not a reliable way to gauge fermentation there are multiple reasons why an airlock bubbles or doesn't. You really need to check with a hydrometer to see how your fermentation is progressing. Several days at the same gravity reading and you are most likely finished fermentation.

calimainer said:
I have a 5 gallon batch of cider going and it's bubbling very slowly. It's been a week since it began fermentation and it's consistently bubbled once every 7 seconds, is this slow? It's been at a pretty constant 68 F (maybe varying by 2 degrees either way). I'm using ale yeast, and I've added 4 cups of honey and 2 lbs. of dextrose.
Any ideas or is this bubble frequency normal?
Thanks in advance.

I haven't been brewing very long. I have 2, 1 gallon carboys fermenting right now. I started with fresh pressed cider and 1 campden tablet per container. After 2 days I added my yeast, yeast nutrient and 3 cups of sugar. In about 2-3 days my airlocks bubble about the same and seem to be getting faster. I would say yours sounds like its right on pace but I have never done 5 gal. in 1 container.

Stop worrying, learn patience, and have a drink! Do those 3 things and you will be fine. Your cider sounds like it is fine too ;) But, read the first reply to your post: bubbles in an airlock is fun to watch (and smell) but it is not indicative of how good or bad fermentation is going. Spend the $3 on a hydrometer. If you get addicted to homebrewing and keep your new hobby going, you will absolutely need one.

Thanks for the reassurance guys. I think I'm impatient because I'm used to making beer, which ferments much more quickly. Are OG and FG readings accurate if I add sugar halfway through fermentation?

If your going to add it halfway through fermentation I would take a reading then add it and take another reading. That will let you know how many points you've added then just add that point value to your OG reading. I believe 1LB. sucrose is 1.046PPG not positive on that but I think that's what I remember reading.

My cider is doing the same as the OP's. I took 3 gal of local organic UV treated cider (no preservatives) and added 2.5lbs honey and 1lb dextrose. Added some additional water and OG was ~ 1.075; rehydrated some nottingham per instructions and pitched into 78 degree cider on 10/09/12. Cooled down to about 68 over the next 24 hours. Had just a 1/2 inch of krausen that dropped first day. Just like the OP, I've got consistent activity in the airlock ~7secs. I've let it get up to 72 degrees, just to see if anything changes. Nothing. Checked gravity today: 1.050. Should I add some nutrient and a pack of Cotes de blancs? Or just let it be? Thanks!!

hgravez said:
My cider is doing the same as the OP's. I took 3 gal of local organic UV treated cider (no preservatives) and added 2.5lbs honey and 1lb dextrose. Added some additional water and OG was ~ 1.075; rehydrated some nottingham per instructions and pitched into 78 degree cider on 10/09/12. Cooled down to about 68 over the next 24 hours. Had just a 1/2 inch of krausen that dropped first day. Just like the OP, I've got consistent activity in the airlock ~7secs. I've let it get up to 72 degrees, just to see if anything changes. Nothing. Checked gravity today: 1.050. Should I add some nutrient and a pack of Cotes de blancs? Or just let it be? Thanks!!

To quote Paul mccartney: let it be.

Its fine,let it sit and ferment out,i have had many batches that were running at the pace yours is. Checking with a hydrometer is a good idea though,i didn't at first but always do now.

Back