Thoughts on Crystal 80 addition (too much?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IPAmaster

Reaction score
Ive never used Crystal 80 in my IPAs, as I normally like a lighter color almost at the bottom end of the BJCP scale. But I am trying my first Double IPA and I thought I would push the upper end of the color threshold this time.

I am having thoughts about using C-80 and I wanted to know if anyone has used it in the past. Also I am using Columbus for the first time ( I wanted a piney taste for this IIPA, normally I love the Citrus/Grapefruit) So any constructive criticism on my hop bill would also be appreciated.

Piney HopBomb IIPA

5.5 gallons, 90 minute boil.

10# 2-Row
3# 6-Row
2# Flaked Rice
1.75# Crystal 80
0.75# CaraPils

60 min 0.5 oz Columbus 14%
45m 0.5 oz Columbus 14%
30m 0.5 oz Columbus 14%
20m 0.5 oz Simcoe 13%
10m 0.5 oz Columbus 14%
10m 1.0 oz Simcoe 14%
5m 1.5 oz Simcoe 14%

Est O.G. 1.081
Est F.G. 1.015

8.8% ABV
95 IBUs
14 SRM

Using a yeast cake of US-05 from a 6% IPA

Planning on dry hopping with both Columbus and Simcoe, maybe an ounce of each in the secondary.

Any thoughts? I'm looking to make a piney hopbomb that doesn't have a huge amount of sweetness. The color is what I am looking for, a deep orange/red, but still dry to the taste.

That's definitely a generous helping of crystal. Personally I'd keep it under 1.5 for this recipe, maybe even 1.25- hate it when those double IPAs get cloyingly sweet and detract from the hop character. If you're aiming more at a dogfish type IPA then you're probably on track though.

Way too much crystal. Think of it this way. You are starting at IPA and going bigger. Standard IPAs have around one pound of light crystal. Since you are upping the gravity, you definitely don't need to use more crystal for this style. Remember, you are trying to keep it crisp. That is the key to an IIPA.

Also, IMO c-80 is the bastard of the crystal family. :)

Thanks Guys, I'm eliminating the 80L and lowering the crystal to 40L (only 1 ounce), and I'm adding a very small amount of Chocolate (4oz) and Black patent (1oz) to keep the color around 15. We'll see how it turns out. I'm pretty excited about this first IIPA, all I normally brew are IPA's. Last time I stepped out of the box, my Black IPA won a blue Ribbon at the Indiana Brewer's Cup. Hopefully this one will have similar results.
Any word on the Columbus? Has anyone tried it with Simcoe before? I love Simcoe, normally I pair it with Warrior and Amarillo and it is fantastic.

I just finished an IPA using only columbus and simcoe. Turned out fantastic! You'll be in good shape with those two. :mug:

One thing I'll note is that since simcoe is pretty overpowering, I decided to go 2:1 on columbus to simcoe on the dry hop. But that's bc I tend to get more of the pine/dank from columbus and more tropical notes from simcoe.

Back