Is this a new bine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zyx345

Reaction score
I just checked my Centennial Hop plant I have in a bucket growing and I noticed a white colored sprout forming at the base of the plant. Any ideas as to what this is or if it is just a new bine forming?

IMG_0773.jpg

Right on, a cartoon shroom and maybe a popsicle stick to me?

Actually, now that I look at it closer, there's a dark lesion at the base of the vine at the soil interface. Do you water a lot? It kinda looks like there might be some type of soil rot going on. Just an observation.

That's a mushroom dude. You need to water less, and hopefully you have well draining soil and good air circulation where your hop plants are.

Thanks. Yea, I'll probably cut back on the watering if I'm getting mushrooms. The plant itself appears to be healthy, knock on wood... I have been watering about twice a week with about 2 liters of water per bucket. The buckets have perforations at the bottom for drainage.

I get mushrooms here and there in my potted hops. General rule for the hops is that if the leave curl upwards, then they are evenly watered for the amount of light they get. If the edges curl down, they are over saturated and cut back on watering. The plants will require more o
Water during dry spells - like we have going on here in upstate NY.

Back