1st Soured beer :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewn4life

Reaction score
So I talk to my Co brewer(mom) and she says: I think the ale beer has soured!!! Its got a white film and smells sour.
Well how come?? We put it in the cold condition for a couple weeks then took it out and put it in the pre bottle warm up room.(closet) It was supposed to be bottled last Monday. Hear it is Friday, very busy week.
UUUUMMMMMM I'm taking it I should've bottled as soon as it warmed up to 70ish that's the closet temp.
No matter how old I get learning the hard way never gets any nicer or easier to deal with..

Your mom is your co-brewer? That's a new one (I'd love that myself actually)

If it's got a white film over the top, then yes you've probably got an infection. Just give it a month at room temp. I think that will ensure any fermentables get gobbled up. Maybe you'll like it?

In the meantime, start trying sour beers. By the time yours is ready you'll be craving the sour goodness.

So I talk to my Co brewer(mom) and she says: I think the ale beer has soured!!! Its got a white film and smells sour.
Well how come?? We put it in the cold condition for a couple weeks then took it out and put it in the pre bottle warm up room.(closet) It was supposed to be bottled last Monday. Hear it is Friday, very busy week.
UUUUMMMMMM I'm taking it I should've bottled as soon as it warmed up to 70ish that's the closet temp.
No matter how old I get learning the hard way never gets any nicer or easier to deal with..

Bummer, I've done about 20 brews in the last year and had 3 go sour. Never did get better w/time. Had to dump them all. :mad:

I think my mom pored it out last night. We don't have extra carboys so to put the Hefe in the secondary we need that soured carboy. I want to work on sour beer but I would rather it be done right then.....what ever happened to this batch. We try soooo hard to make sure every thing is sanitary.
Yah my mom and I are getting a Brutus 10 type set up in the next couple weeks but its more like a 20-25 :) and yes more fermenters.

Why don't you just leave your hefe in primary? Its not like it'll clear up...

Btw, you're mom is awesome.

Our club presented at the brewers cup a keg of kolsch that went sour. It was possibly the best beer at the event - and unfortunately was the quickest keg to float! I have had a couple beers go sour in fermenter before. I always bottle a few and put away. A few have been good after a LONG period of time. But I would rather be making an intentional sour- got a 6 gallonbatch fermenting right now to be split up into 6 individual batches w/ diff fruit.

If you had a bacterial infection, you will need to kill the offending bacteria still living in the vessel, or you will sour future batches. You may want to bleach bomb the carboy, making sure to rinse several times to remove all chlorine.

Once the bacteria entered the beer, it probably didn't matter that it warmed after cold conditioning. You should determine how it entered the beer. If you rack from primary to secondary, is all your equipment sanitized. Hydrometer thief, racking cane, siphon tube, hoses, etc.? For instance, if you start a siphon with your mouth, that will nearly always cause an infection. Unless the hydrometer and tube are sanitized, don't pour the sample back into the beer. Don't set the airlock stopper on a surface and put it back without cleaning it first. The outside lip of the carboy is probably also hosting a bacteria fiesta. Etc., etc., etc. Beer isn't terribly fragile, but it creates a nice environment to host some types of bacteria.

There are bacteria everywhere in our homes, and, in fact, the kitchen typically has the highest populations. Bacteria can be present on the dust in the air. I am not trying to make you phobic, just pointing out that pinpointing the root cause of an infection can be very difficult. This is one reason many homebrewers avoid a secondary. Every time we fiddle with our beer, we can increase the chances of an infection. Beer is pretty hardy, and if you sanitize well, you can minimize those odds.

Common household bleach is a great sanitizer, but it takes a lot of rinsing to remove all the chlorine. Easy clean and oxy-clean sanitize with hydrogen peroxide, and are generally not recommended for use in the final sanitizing step. They are great, though, for breaking down some of the gunk that builds up inside the carboy. Lots of homebrewers use star-san or iodophor, which are highly recommended as sanitizers. Star-san is my preferred sanitizer- it is easy to mix and use, and I keep a 1.5 liter garden sprayer full of it handy for the in-between sanitizing sessions like hydrometer sampling, etc. It is a wet contact sanitizer with lots of foam. It sanitizes with 20 seconds of contact. It also breaks down into nutrients for yeast.

I'm sorry you had to toss a beer. I know that hurts, after the investment of work, time and money. I hope you have some ideas as to wher the infection may have originated. As they say, sanitize everything that comes in contact with your beer after boiling!

You people rock!!!
My heart dropped an inch after reading your comments...I poured it out... From now on unless its sour as milk it gets bottled!!!
That's 5 hrs labor, $50 and 1.5 months later I feel horrible...I need a beer!!

Back