Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lazarus0530

Reaction score
I know air lock isn't a good indicator . But I just brewed a German ale. I think I pitched my yeast a lil warm about 80-85 ... I had good bubbling going on for two days. Then it stopped.
It's fermenting at a nice 67 right now. Would it hurt to throw more yeast in there?

Take a hydrometer reading. If you are at your target FG, you're done. If not, give it a few more days and check again. If it hasn't dropped, give it a swirl and get them yeasties back in suspension.

its still fermenting even tho it stoped bubbling i wouldnt pitch any more yeast just let it sit for two weeks then kick to secondary fo 7 to 14 days and youll have a good beer

Mjolnir said:
its still fermenting even tho it stoped bubbling i wouldnt pitch any more yeast just let it sit for two weeks then kick to secondary fo 7 to 14 days and youll have a good beer

I was kinda short. I brewed it Saturday evening . I had to run out so I kinda hurried . I came back Saturday night and it was bubbling away then again all day Sunday, yesterday it died down , now today nothing.
I usually let it sit for 17-21 days. I just get all panicky always when I do not see any activity. Lots of things go thru my mind.
"did I kill the yeast"
"do I have an infection"
"did I clean my equipment good enough?"
All these thoughts and I never had a bad batch yet. But this is my first kegged beer I'm doing.

You don't need to secondary unless that's your preferred method. You can still get clear beer in primary. But when the fast bubbling slows or stops,you're just past initial fermentation. It slows down till it gets down to a stable FG. Use your hydrometer to know for sure.

unionrdr said:
You don't need to secondary unless that's your preferred method. You can still get clear beer in primary. But when the fast bubbling slows or stops,you're just past initial fermentation. It slows down till it gets down to a stable FG. Use your hydrometer to know for sure.

I'm always paranoid to check that. I hate opening up my bucket! 😁I'm afraid something will get in there!

Just get the sample out quick,& reseal before coducting your gravity test. It'll be fine that way. Short duration exposer like that won't get infected 99% of the time.

I'm always paranoid to check that. I hate opening up my bucket! 😁I'm afraid something will get in there!

No need to be paranoid. :)

In my experience, its rather hard to get an infection. I've made some pretty big mistakes (taking samples with unsanitary tools, etc.) and haven't had an infection. Opening up the bucket isn't gonna do harm under normal conditions.

And since pitch temp was so high,give it another 3-7 days after a stable FG is reached to let it clean up off flavors/by products & settle out more before bottling.

Back