Stone 15th Anniversary - Escondidian Imperial Black IPA clone?!?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adamb258

Reaction score
I had a bomber of this last night in support of my Texas Rangers ( :( ) and I have to say, it was awesome. I was expecting SSR in a different bottle but I found the 15th much more to my liking. A slight roast/coffee flavor with citrus punch, it was one smooth IPA. I have been searching all morning and havent found a recipe online anywhere and was wondering I was just missing it?

If it hasnt been cloned yet lets get to work!!! :D

Subscribed. This was the best beer I've ever had. I want the recipe.

The above link to the stone blog had all the ingredients listed:

Vital stats: 10.8% abv, 100 IBUs
Malt Bill: Pale Malt, Cara-Bohemian, Carafa III Special, and Chocolate Malt
Hops Bill: Columbus (bittering), Citra (flavor/aroma). Dry-hopped with Nelson Sauvin and Pacific Jade.

I am unsure of % for the malts, maybe somethign like this?
80% 2-row
12% carbohemian (no clue about this - read it can be used for up to 15%)
5% chocolate
3% carafa III

For the hops something like:
60 min columbus
20-10-5 citra
dry hop NS and PJ?

This is just a total shot in the dark hoping the more experienced brewers and those that have tried it can can help. Once we come up with a solid idea ill give it a brew

85% 2-row
5% carbohemian (no clue about this - read it can be used for up to 15%)
5% chocolate
5% carafa III

might be better since i cant find any consistent information about carabohemian

I've heard some negative things about the CaraBohemian at my LHBS. Obviously it's used successfully in Stone 15, but swapping it for some Special B wouldn't hurt.

What were the negative comments? I searched for a substitution for carabohemian and I couldnt really find a solid answer but special B might not be too bad in a leser amount. I am fairly determined to use the grain bill provided by stone though.

I use a this recipe

13 lbs 2 row
.75 lbs crystal 60
.75 lbs carafa III

1.75 oz chinook 60 mins
1.0. Oz simcoe 15 mins
1.0. Oz Amarillo 15 mins
1.0 Oz simcoe 5 mins
1.0. Oz Amarillo 5 mins

Wyeast 1056 with starter

2 oz Simcoe 7 days
2 oz Amarillo 7 days

What were the negative comments? I searched for a substitution for carabohemian and I couldnt really find a solid answer but special B might not be too bad in a leser amount. I am fairly determined to use the grain bill provided by stone though.

Nobody there likes it. The customers seemed to agree. I'm sure there's a bit of group think going on though.

I've seen some people on other forums compare it to crystal 80, I think I've decided to stick with carabohemian though. Just need to figure out % for grain bill, I've got 2 weeks before a brew day though.

this is the best beer i have ha in a long time. i love the 11th anniversary but this is way better! we deff. need to come up with a recipe for this.

if anyone has any recommendations I am willing to be the guinnea pig on this. may do it next weekend. I would do it sunday, but need to make a quick turn around brew (just relocated and need to fill up the kegs). Did an imperial porter last weekend and just finished brewing my first Flanders Red about 15 minutes ago :mug:

My sister got me a couple of bottles of this for my birthday, I just finished the last one. I really want a reliable clone of this or at least something similar. At 10.5%, it's gotta be a hefty bill, but it would be worth it to have a nice, chewy beer like this on hand. I've never had such a strong malt profile and still enjoyed it (because I'm all about the hops). If I had more time I'd brew up some test batches to get it down... I hope somebody has a head start on it, though!

May I suggest you all do what I did and emailed both Stone and Morebeer asking this to be a kit like their 12th anniversary, (which I just brewed and it's awesome)..

Sent from my ADR6300 using Home Brew Talk

Has anyone taken a stab at thia yet? Realy thinking about this beer lately. Probably cause I'm on call this week and can't have any beer till Monday! *groan & complain *

I am strongly considering giving it a go next week or weekend. I'll try to come up with a baseline recipe tomorrow and post it for feedback.

I wouod like to do it next weekend as well. I have no experience with doing recipes, if you come to a point where you have a variation you are not sure of let me know please cause I can brew a variation of the recipe and we can exchange.

Just a thought

Sounds good. I just sent Stone an email with my initial thoughts for a recipe, hopefully they are kind enough to provide some feedback. I will update if I hear anything.

I have not found a Black IPA that I like a lot, but this is fantastic. Subscribed.
I want to make this too.

Great news! I got an email from Mitch Steele about my recipe. It was close, but he made some recommendations. I will post the recipe in the recipes forum later tonight or tomorrow when I get to my beersmith and put the link in this thread. Brew day is on this weekend!

skeezerpleezer said:
Great news! I got an email from Mitch Steele about my recipe. It was close, but he made some recommendations. I will post the recipe in the recipes forum later tonight or tomorrow when I get to my beersmith and put the link in this thread. Brew day is on this weekend!

You're my hero!

Subscribe!

Has anyone had the uinta dubhe? It's at about 9.5%, 100 ibu. Very excellent. Just dry hopped a black ipa with Chinook, Columbus, cascsde simcoe and centennial, can't wait!

Awesome skeez, you just made my evening! I forgot this weekend was thanksgiving :duh so it'll be next weekend before I fire up the kettle

Anyone that is following this in hopes of cloning this that hasn't checked out my recipe thread may want to. Getting some pretty positive results so far. Check the last few pages if interested. Link is up a couple posts.

Back