The other hobby I do that people think is odd... straight razors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
FreshlyHoned.JPG

The green handled one is a Dovo and is only a couple years old. The other is about 100 years old and still gives a perfect shave. Got to love shaving with something that you'll be passing down to your kids instead of having to buy cartridges for crazy money that only last a couple uses.

I just polished and honed (sharpened with a stone) them so figured I would take a quick pic before they headed back to the bathroom for daily use.

i've often considered getting something like this,actually the ones where you use a half of a razor blade but i've also been concerned i would remove my cheek whilst shaving, how easy/difficult are they to use? does it take long to master?

I am far from a master but even then I'm happier with my shave than I was with cartridges.

As for doing damage to yourself, I won't lie, it is a razor after all so you can open yourself up if you aren't paying attention but short of really trying to kill yourself it is usually just the equivalent of a brutal paper cut, heh. As long as you draw straight up/down and don't pull across though you will generally be fine. Once you understand the basics and have a bit of practice it is just a matter of practice, practice, practice.

How you approach shaving is totally different with a straight razor. It is kind of hard to explain... straight shaving is more of a zen experience than a chore. Regular shaving was just grab the can lather up and do a quick shave before jumping in the shower. Straight shaving is a whole relaxing routine that really shouldn't be rushed. With practice you can do a quick shave with ease but it just isn't the same as taking the time to shave properly. I guess it would be like comparing a quick shower with a nice hot bath.

OOOOFFFFF!! I started bleeding when I saw the pics.. I HATE shaving. wonder if there's a way to have your face waxed.. :cross:

Oh and the "half a razor blade" ones you are talking about are probably disposables. If you are going to do it I would go with a real straight. Part of why I do this is cost savings and the "green" nature of it but really it just makes sense.

With the exception of soap pucks and maybe another brush I can shave for the rest of my life with what I have in the house and all I have is a couple razors, a brush, a strop and my sharpening stones which are used for sharpening more than just the razors. For that matter so can my kids and their kids and so on. Heck the one blade is around 100 years old and is in great shape just to give you an idea.

The only real maintenance, as long as you treat them right, is sharpening them a couple times a year which only takes a few minutes.

I use what my dad's generation called a "safety razor". You know, the one that uses the old, traditional double-edged razor blade. I pay next to nothing for blades and easily and safely shave my face daily and my head at least once a week. I'll never go back to paying Gilette or Schick or whomever the hideous prices they get for the environmentally unsound plastic cartridges they're peddling.

I was hoping old age but that isn't helping, just a different color..:eek:

All it does when you age is move to different places on your body and change color, heh.

Yeah, I found that gravity is moving my hair. Heck, I shouldn't have to shave any part of my head by the time I'm 100. :ban:

And as for changing color, I thought it was the lack of sun causing that.:D

I use what my dad's generation called a "safety razor". You know, the one that uses the old, traditional double-edged razor blade. I pay next to nothing for blades and easily and safely shave my face daily and my head at least once a week. I'll never go back to paying Gilette or Schick or whomever the hideous prices they get for the environmentally unsound plastic cartridges they're peddling.

Same here. I've been using safety razors for a few years. Love them! Feather blades are SHARP as medical scalpels.

Though, I've started growing a beard, so I only use them to clean up the neck and cheeks a little. I'm going to go in the opposite direction and grow a handlebar moustache. ;)

I do use generic cartridges with a HeadBlade razor for shaving my head. My elbow rotates quite a bit, causing a lateral motion, which could lead to cuts.

Safety razors are another great alternative... as mentioned they are much, MUCH, cheaper than the current cartridge method. What surprised me the most was the difference between using the canned shaving cream and using soap and a brush. The canned stuff is terrible, I'll never go back.

Hey, good to see others are into shaving as well! I haven't gotten into straights yet, but I"ve been shaving with a DE, good badger hair brush and awesome soaps/creams for about 5 years now. As far as I'm concerned, its the only way to shave. Very relaxing, refreshing and zero irritation. Although I do sport a goatee now, I will never give up my DE!

I'm also a regular poster over at Badgerandblade.com with the same username. I've been a member since 2006, so I really don't chime in on the shaving discussion though...mainly the cooking and alcohol related sub forums.

wow, another straight razor user. i got really into straight razors for a while, i think i have 5 or 6 of them, but i got lazy about keeping them stropped and now use a straight edge with a disposable blade (the cheap ones they sell at beauty shops). it actually works really well, but i look forward to having some time to re-hone my old ones. i have made a dozen or so shaving brushes, all with really nice badger hair blanks, gave most of them out to my groomsmen as appreciation gifts. i saw you mentioned a new brush potentially, if you're interested and want a custom one, let me know and we can work something out. i know there is a pretty big subculture for straight edges, but it's cool to see another interested person 'round here.

Like Ed, I am a member of B & B; however, I don't get over there very often at all. I use a safety razor as well and haven't had any trouble with razor burn or irritation with it... which was the reason I switched from a Mach 3. Also, I switched because it's so much cheaper to use DE blades.

I love my Dovo. I rarely get any razor burn anymore, and if I do, I know it's time to hone a bit. I actually enjoy shaving now. It's a whole different experience, zen like as stated before. I start to relax the first draw across the leather.

I don't think I'll ever go back to canned cream and cartridges again.

I own a few, but I quit shaving some time ago, so I never learned how to use it.

I suppose I'm more of a user than a hobbiest when it comes to straights. Mine are functional with just the basics I need to shave and maintain my blades... unlike brewing, lol.

When I see those things I think of Floyd the Barber on Mayberry, more specifically the skit on Second City TV where he was always checking the artery chart behind the customers back while he attempted to shave them or should I say cut them.

I also shave my head and I am usually in too much of a hurry to be careful enough not to slice myself open. I actually get a lot of mileage from those disposable razors; I use them until they really don't cut the hairs anymore and just start to pull on them. But yeah, they are expensive.

But just wait until they come out with the Track 10! :D :ban:

Newly-converted straight-razor shaver here.

I stopped using disposable (cartridge or otherwise) razors five years ago and never looked back. I still use my 70-year-old safety razor when I'm too rushed; I'm afraid I'll take my nose off if I rush with a straight razor.

I'm also in it for the green, though a stronger pull is the old-fashioned nature of it. It's also relaxing while being very focusing. You have to focus to use a straight razor if you don't want to have bits of face in the sink. This is useful first thing in the AM; helps one get one's day into focus before hitting the office.

Also, don't try this after three cups of coffee. :eek:

Cheers!

Bob

Back