The brewing commandments

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hiphops

Reaction score
Ok. I've been doing a lot of posting and asking a lot of questions and I think as a general matter it comes down to this ... With the exception of some things, there is not right or wrong answer; it's just a matter of style.

With that having been said, what are the universal truths to brewing? What are those things in brewing that are NOT merely a matter of style but rather a matter of truth. In other words, what are the brewing commandments?

I'll start off with an easy one. Commandment 1: thou shall keep a sanitized carboy.

What are some others?

#2 (since the above #2 wasn't actually #2 unless the post was to place hold, then this is #5)
Thought shall wait 72 hours before worrying about your fementation.

Never Trust your boil kettle to never boil over!

When making beer, Its best to be drinking beer also!

Cleaning and sterilizing are two different things... you need to do both.

Thou shalt keep a beer journal.

Relax Don't Worry, Have a Home Brew (worth posting again)

I was hoping that I'd get a response from the trustworthy homebrewing forum
rather than then unregulated market of google, Fu.

relax dont worry, have a homebrew....every noob has to learn the sacred sayings....just wait till he askes what a SWMBO is...

Actually I was going to ask about that as well: gleening from prior posts it appears that it has something to do with a pain in the as$ wife???

*Thou shalt only use fresh ingreidants

*Thou shalt not use the yeast under the cap of LME

*Thou shaltrecord the best before dates and lot numbers on yeasts and LME cans

(not sure that shalt is an actual word... but i like it)

Ok I learned the meaning and significance if those terms: big whoop. Let's get bavk on message: so what di you consider as the brewing commandments?

Revvy 1:1

Thou shall not use thy airlock as thy fermentation indicator, trust thy hydrometer.

When you think you've ruined your beer because of [insert random reason here] ... step away from the carboy, do a little research (meanwhile, have another beer).

Brewing is for the Procrastinator. If you are impatient, Find a new hobby.

brilliant maybe thats why i enjoy it so much I have an test batch of ESB in primary thats been there for at least 7 months every time i look at it its like meh i can wait another week.

Pick a style, any style (hopefully something simple like a pale ale), brew it until you get it right. Then feel free to move on to something more challenging.

Cleanliness is next to Godliness.
But Satan makes make better beer because heat sanitizes.

He never made beer anyhow, he was a wine-o! :) Would have been much cooler if water was turned into Barleywine!

My contribution to the commandments:

Thou shalt not worry about thy beer being infected 24-7, 365. Thy beer is cleaner than thy home!

Back