From secondary to keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wamphyriification

Reaction score
I need to siphon from secondary to keg but want to filter out the hop junk. I have been running it through a strainer and into the corny but I am worried about oxidation as the strainer sits on the top of the keg. I get alot of foam. Anything to worry about?

You might zip tie a copper scrubber like the Chore Boy brand onto the pickup end of your siphon? Like a SOS or Brillo pad, but without the soap in it, just the metal wool part.

Also, you can shoot a little CO2 into your empty keg so the exposed top surface of the beer coming out of the siphon is not picking up O2 that way.

Foaming and splashing will oxidize the beer quickly. If your beer has that much sediment in it, it's not ready to keg/bottle.

If you rack from above the sediment, you should not have too much hop debris in your keg. I just kegged 10 gallons of dryhopped IPA and even with an ounce of leaf hops in each carboy, I didn't get more than a couple of particles in my keg. Careful racking is the key. I move the carboys at least an hour or two before racking, and then rack from the middle and lower the racking cane as the level of the beer lowers. You want to put the end of the siphon at the very bottom of the keg, to prevent oxidation. Splashing at this point will ruin the beer quickly.

Thanks. I am going to be much more careful racking into keg. Is there a way to bleed the air out of a keg after siphoning the wrong way?

Purge the keg with CO2 and get it carbed. The damage (If any) is done.
Guess you'll just have to Drink it faster!

Next time, it needs to stay in secondary (Or primary for that matter!) until it clears out. Which it will.

Then you won't have to worry about many floaters... Also, once you cool the keg and get it carbed it'll clear out some more.

You'll get a glass of cloudy beer at first, and after that you'll be good to go.

This beer turned out fine. I purged to keg with co2 and let it sit under 14 psi for 9 days. When I poured my first draw, the beer was 28 days old and still pretty green...had that not quite done malt taste. Waited 9 more days and wow, she was ready. Crystal clear with a big white foamy head. Enjoyed this for 3 1/2 weeks.

Back