Outdoors and hoppiness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gyllstromk

Reaction score
Call me crazy, but I have noticed a pronounced change of aroma when drinking hoppy beers out my front door, where there's a rose bush and the proximity of other flora. Can't fully describe it, but the hop flavor generally seems more resiny and less flavorful. I've witnessed it on everything from home brews to Pliny the Elder. Wife noticed it too. Is there some sort of aroma interference going on here?

Is there sunlight? Hoppy beers skunk fast, less than a couple minutes kinda fast. That can really change the hop flavor and aroma.

Simple Science, you actually taste with your nose. Complements of the outdoors will enhance the experinece.

Dont' believe me? Drink the same brew in a port-a-potty.

Yeah. This is all olfactory. When you're inside, you're picking up a more concentrated aroma because you're not subject to your brain wandering in and out of roses and flowers and the like. Your nose is more powerful than anything when drinking.

There's a big homebrew comp here at the fair and it really throws people off because the judging is on grass and there is sausage and grease being cooked everywhere. I hear it is tough to judge.

Back