Rims MLT build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jbt

Reaction score
Found a old 1/2 barrel in the scap yard yesterday. I tore into it this afternoon. Cut the top out, welded in 2-3/8 fittings, built a false bottom, and a lid. Not bad for 2 1/2 hours. I'm going to build a cart next to mount everything too.

e9583e07.jpg
eff60e29.jpg
9ec71b79.jpg
b4365cc9.jpg

thelorax121 said:
What did you use for the false bottom material?

I cut the 2 halves out on a water jet. I had the hinge and handle laying around. Which originally came from mcmastercarr. Material is 16ga 304ss

Finishing up the cart.. Just realized i should have got locking casters. Its going to roll around while stiring. Starting on a new rims tube now.

image-1153916216.jpg

I fab it from raw material. 1 1/2 tubing, 2- 3/8 half couplings, a 1/4 half coupling for the temp sensor, and I machined a end cap with 1in Npsm threads in it for the heater. The conduit box I made with sheet metal end caps and piece of 3in tube. All 304 stainless, tig welded and electro polished.

I'm thinking I may remake it thou because I think i may put a tri-clamp on the end. Then thread a cap to put the heater in so it can be removed easy, to clean the element.

image-2235866887.jpg

image-1642543746.jpg

image-1610300242.jpg

You... are... a... god. I know so because I could barely understand what you were saying. How much to have one made?

You... are... a... god. I know so because I could barely understand what you were saying. How much to have one made?

When I get a chance to make the final one I will calculate it up and let you know. I don't know what the policys are here for selling stuff. But I know it would be just about 2 bills for everything. Tri clamps version and conduit box. This one is designed for a 4500watt low density element

Ouch...... considering you can get the triclamp tube from brewers hardware for $110. Granted yours looks nice but very rarely do home brewers pay double for any equipment just because it looks nicer........ imo

Ouch...... considering you can get the triclamp tube from brewers hardware for $110. Granted yours looks nice but very rarely do home brewers pay double for any equipment just because it looks nicer........ imo
I was not really looking to sell stuff just sharing what I am working on. But, I will always seek others interest. Im pretty sure $110 is just a base price for the tube and 2 clamps you have to add on the rest which will come close to $200 if not just under or over.

I was not really looking to sell stuff just sharing what I am working on. But, I will always seek others interest. Im pretty sure $110 is just a base price for the tube and 2 clamps you have to add on the rest which will come close to $200 if not just under or over.

The base price before configuration includes:

1 - 1.5" Tri Clover 2-piece RIMS Tube
5 - Silicone Gaskets
5 - Tri Clover Clamps

Source: http://www.brewershardware.com/tri-clover-rims-tube.html

Got it somewhat plumbed with some stuff I had laying around from my old setup. I have some alignment issues. I have stainless fittings coming in tomorrow hopefully some will be resolved. I also have to index the temp sensor fitting to the back.

image-2254151737.jpg

image-2471342540.jpg

Just finished up the ekeggle. Would like to put a level sight glass on it yet. Going to build a stand first.

image-1556319335.jpg

image-129411102.jpg

image-434088876.jpg

image-4085885174.jpg

Looks awesome. Enjoying all of your photos along the way. Hope to follow your example soon. Once I finish off this 1/2 barrel of Yuengling I plan to start building my own ekeggle. Cheers

TheBusterBrew said:
Looks awesome. Enjoying all of your photos along the way. Hope to follow your example soon. Once I finish off this 1/2 barrel of Yuengling I plan to start building my own ekeggle. Cheers

Thanks, good luck with your build.

Back