Pedroheart's beer time capsule modifications

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howiedw

Reaction score
I made up a batch pf Pedroheart's beer time capsule(https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/beer-time-capsule-374386/) last weekend (2/18). The OP said to "ferment for 72 hours or untill dead. As of drawing a sample for testing last night, fermentation was still going strong. About an inch of krausen, and bubbling away in the airlock. My question is:

I added .5oz of northern brewer whole hops for a 30 min miniboil. As of drawing the sample yesterday, the beer had reached about 3.7%abv and still tasted really sweet with no noticeable hop notes.

I can post the SG numbers after I get home and look at my notes.

Will the small amount of hops be suficent to balance out the residual sweetness in the end or should I consider dry-hopping during keg conditioning? If the awnser is to dry-hop, how much of what kind of hop should I use?

Any input from those more experianced than I is welcome.

Sounds like its not near to being finished yet. I would let it continue to ferment out until completed - then see what the gravity/sweeteness is.

I bottled this yesterday. There was still some activity in the fermenter, so I realize that I bottled it "Live". Hopefully that means that I didn't need to add any priming sugars to it. I got a fair amount of yeast still in suspension into the bottles, so I am expecting a good amount of sediment. I bottled it at 6.15% ABV. OG was 1.054 and gravity at bottling was 1.007. The sample I drew at bottling tasted great. The residual sweetness was almost gone, and the small amount of Hops that I added was starting to come through. I really think that this is going to be a great addition to my recipie book! I'll post more tasting notes after a few weeks of bottle conditioning and cold storage.

New batch brewed today Everything per OP, (Including the potato) only this time, I added a full ounce of Northern Brewer for 30 minutes and an additional 1/4 ounce with 5 minutes left in the boil. This is going to be one of the two inaugral beers for the new kegaradio! Here's to tapping it in about a month! Tasting notes to follow!

Brewed batch no. 3 last weekend. This one only had 1 oz of northern Brewer and no potato. (Because I forgot). The last batch was great. the only issue was I did not let it clear long enough prior to kegging, so I still get a slug of sediment every time I pour a glass. It's a nice amber/brown ale. Not overly hoppy, and crisp, clean and refreshing. Great summer beer. This will be a regular to keep on tap.

I'll run the recipie through the recipie generator and post the results this weekend.

The batches have been averaging about 6% ABV.

Batch 3 turned out better. Still a little cloudy, but good overall. I brewed #4 last weekend. The change this time was I used nottingham yeast instead of us-04. It's rapidly becoming my good old standby for experiments.

After several batches of this "as written", I have decided to try expanding the Garage Hooch line. Here is my recipe for the "Garage Golden Ale" What do you guys think? And yes, it's not mentioned, but the potato will be included in the primary.

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Gold garage hooch

Brew Method: Extract
Style Name: American Pale Ale
Boil Time: 30 min
Batch Size: 5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 2 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.160
Efficiency: 35% (steeping grains only)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.064
Final Gravity: 1.018
ABV (standard): 6.06%
IBU (tinseth): 3.9
SRM (morey): 6.55

FERMENTABLES:
3.3 lb - Dry Malt Extract - Light (45.2%)
2 lb - Cane Sugar (27.4%)
2 lb - Brown Sugar (27.4%)

HOPS:
1 oz - Saaz, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 3.5, Use: Boil for 30 min, IBU: 3.45
0.5 oz - Saaz, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 3.5, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 0.45

YEAST:
Coopers Ale
Starter: No
Form: Dry
Attenuation (avg): 72%
Flocculation: High
Optimum Temp: 68 - 80 F