3 gallon technique - mash tun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chezhed

Reaction score
I have a 3 gallon keg and want to do a 3 gallon batch. I've never made less than 5 gallons and usually do 10 or 12. My mash tun is a 70 qt cooler which seems like total waste for a small batch.
So what do people use for a mash tun for 3 and 1 gallon batches?

When I am making a small batch like that I just go with biab. Much easier then having multiple mash tuns in my opinion.

+1 for the stovetop BIAB on smaller batches. You can give it a little blast of heat now and then to maintain mash temps if you're having an issue with that. I've had good success with this, although I will say that every single time I've made a 2.5gal batch I've wished I would've made the whole 5. Good way to test a recipe though.

I do 3 gallon batches on my system. I went the typical converted-Rubbermaid-cooler route but used 5 gallon coolers instead of 10 gallon.

OK...but forget stovetop BIAB....that's not permitted by SWMBO...no kitchen brewing...got a fancy rig, sink, two water sources and plenty of room outside....keep it out there till it's ready to drink! Deal....

I have a wide selection of pots (from 5 gallon to 25 gallon) to use for HLT and Boil kettle and all are equipped with drain valves...so they don't fit in the sinks so well and I'm probably going to chill with plate chiller anyway since it's still 95 degrees plus here....

aww never mind....guess I'll just do 5 gallons, bottle 2 and keg the rest......

But I'd still like to know what someone uses for this....

I do 3 gallon batches on my system. I went the typical converted-Rubbermaid-cooler route but used 5 gallon coolers instead of 10 gallon.

Thanks! Kind of what I guessed but wondered if there was some other "out of the box" idea.

I do 3 gallon BIAB in my 5 Gallon BKs. It's pretty much the biggest all grain that fits in it depending on the grain load. I just put it on my propane burner, and closely monitor the heat. It gets too low, turn it on, pull the bag up a bit to prevent it from burning, and stir. turn it off and monitor temps. Works fine for me.

i've done a small batch Mash In A Bag with this cooler, a 16-quart Igloo

th.jpg

I kept my original 3 gallon Igloo MLT and still use it for small experimental batches or for mashing grains separate from the main mash. Nothing fancy. A stainless braid and a valve off a bottling bucket.

3 gallon Igloo.jpg

Back