Victory Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew4allMI

Reaction score
Planning on brewing a partial mash IPA with Nugget and Centennial hops. Has anyone used victory malt in an IPA? I am using about 8% of my grist/extract bill. somewhat of an experimental IPA. What about Nugget hops, any comments on those? Mainly using nugget for bittering 60min/45min and using centennial for flavor and aroma...

Victory is a biscuit type malt and really inappropriate for an IPA if you are brewing to BJCP Guidelines. If however your not concerned about BJCP Guidelines then go for it. Victory has a toasted bread like flavor that I like and I use it in American Pale Ales and American Amber Ales. I have been know to use toasted oatmeal in an IPA, but that's me. Sometimes I go the guide and sometimes I don't. It is your beer, brew what what you like!

Edit: I used Nugget hops to brew an all Nugget Pale Ale that turned out excellent! I like Nugget Hops going to brew that one again!

I really dont brew to BJCP guidelines, but i do use the guidelines as such; as a guide to different types of beers. How much victory would be too much. I am just looking for a unique flavor to an IPA. Is 8% too much to use? Never used the malt before.

In essence, what i may be brewing may be a slightly hoppy american pale ale?

I have used Nugget hops on a number of brews, but my favorite beer I have made was hooped 50/50 with Nugget/Zeus, both as a FWH and then small alternating additions from 20 mins to flameout, and of course a healthy dry hop of both. Brewing that beer inspired me to begin growing those two hops, or at least getting my dad to grow them for me. We only got a couple of ounces off the plants the first season, hope I can make a ten gallon batch with fresh grown hops next year!

I have used Nugget hops on a number of brews, but my favorite beer I have made was hooped 50/50 with Nugget/Zeus, both as a FWH and then small alternating additions from 20 mins to flameout, and of course a healthy dry hop of both. Brewing that beer inspired me to begin growing those two hops, or at least getting my dad to grow them for me. We only got a couple of ounces off the plants the first season, hope I can make a ten gallon batch with fresh grown hops next year!

Ahh right on... good to hear you like the nugget hops. I am hoping for a slightly bitter IPA than what I have brewed before. My recipe is as follows

5lb. 8oz Light Dry Malt Extract

1lb. 8oz Briess 2 Row Malt

10oz American Crystal 10L

6oz Victory Malt

HOPS:
60min 1 oz Nugget 12%aa
30min .5 oz " "
15min .5oz " "
5min .5oz Centennial 10%aa
Dry Hop (7days) .5oz Centennial 10%aa

Yeast:
California ale WLP001