trying something new distilling wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chaos2984

Reaction score
So my buddy at work likes drinking moonshine and such. He gets real moonshine threw a guy at work, but is getting costly and sometimes its not to tasty. He wants to make his own for personal consumption.(I know the legality of it and all) He likes the beer that i brew. We are looking to make our own. But thinking about doing something different and distilling beer before you carb it. Like going threw the same process of brewing it and fermenting it. But when its done heating it up to correct temps and distilling it. Would it work theory wise and would any of the spirits pick up any of the beer flavors or not??

The best thing I can say is that one of the dumbest things you can do is to advertise, and ask for advice about committing federal crimes online.

The only thing worse would be to do it on a hugely popular alcohol related site where it's more likely to be seen by ATF.

we were thinking about getting a big pressure cooker and modify it for a temp gauge and copper pipe to collect the steam.

Since distilling alcohol is illegal, it's against thr rules to discuss it here on Homebrewtalk. If you're so inclined, do a google search, and you'll find information on it.

But ya, drop the topic here. The mods will close this thread shortly.

LOL:fro:

45_70sharps' comment must have been far too subtly disguised for our budding shiner:D

And here comes the ice pick to the forehead!!!!!!;)

Distilling might be illegal but you could freeze your beer multiple times to condense it to a 20+% beer. Have a look at brewdog the Scottish brewery.

Distilling might be illegal but you could freeze your beer multiple times to condense it to a 20+% beer. Have a look at brewdog the Scottish brewery.

Nothing 'might be' about it. It's 100% illegal unless you're licensed by the TTB. Going by something made overseas isn't a good measure of legality in the US.

If you want something with super high ABV, then formulate it to ferment that way, use a very high tolerance yeast (like WLP099, Wyeast Eau de Vie, etc.) and just make it 100% legally. Seriously, it's NOT worth the pain you'll have doing it any other way (without being licensed). Do you REALLY want to have jail time and a felony conviction on your record??

It's illegal unless it is "ice" distilling. Basically take a high gravity beer like a barleywine and try to freeze it. Decant out all the liquid(alcohol). I suppose you could do it multiple times...but it probably won't taste very good and you will never reach 'moonshine" strength.

Distilling alcohol in the US is illegal, period, doesn't matter if it is flash distillation or otherwise... however if you look online there are plenty of websites out there to talk about 'water purifiers' where they boil and recollect water only for fresh clean DI water... and several boards geared towards Australia (the only county I know of where it's legal to home distill), like http://www.artisan-distiller.net or http://homedistiller.org where you can get your questions answered. You can get a fuel distillers permit in the US, but read the rules on what can/does happen if you apply for one of those permits.

This thread has made it this long? In before the trolling hammer strikes..

passedpawn said:
Mods are all making last minute Cyber-Monday purchases. 14 minutes left.

There you go. Anything good for cyber monday? Did not look...

passedpawn said:
I just bought a Tapright dual regulator (3 gauge) with 5/16 barbs for $101 incl. shipping. That's pretty damned good. 10% off regulator and free shipping. I've been serving soda, so I need the other regulator.

Thats not bad at all. Thinking about a dual regulator myself. Either that or i need to track down a manifold. Too many kegs full of beer. Oh the humanity...

Thats not bad at all. Thinking about a dual regulator myself. Either that or i need to track down a manifold. Too many kegs full of beer. Oh the humanity...

haha. Don't you know, this hobby is ridiculous. The regulator in my keezer feeds a 4-position manifold that I have mounted on the collar. My current regulator will get moved to my other 15 cu.ft. chest freezer in the garage, where I store untapped kegs. Oh the humanity... !

Wow. A distilling thread that lasted 1.5+ hours. I better check out the last minute sales, there must be some good ones...

passedpawn said:
haha. Don't you know, this hobby is ridiculous. The regulator in my keezer feeds a 4-position manifold that I have mounted on the collar. My current regulator will get moved to my other 15 cu.ft. chest freezer in the garage, where I store untapped kegs. Oh the humanity... !

You have me beat by a few kegs good sir! I need to get a chest instead of a fridge kegerator. Im lame, only have 1 perlick and a couple of party taps. Just carb a keg, set it aside, and carb another one, and so on. A manifold or dual regulator is soon in my future.

passedpawn said:
12:02, mods are just closing those paypal windows.

This thread will disappear in 5.... 4.... 3.....

Like waiting for the New Year!

Got a dual body Taprite regulator on my 20# CO2 tank feeding two manifolds in my brew fridge. One goes to the three port, the other to a two port. I can only fit four kegs in the brew fridge, and only have three taps through the door. I also have enough 'spare' CO2 tanks on hand that if I run out, there's something seriously wrong with me, the world, or we've used up all the CO2 available (that must have been one HELL of a party :rockin:)...

You have me beat by a few kegs good sir! I need to get a chest instead of a fridge kegerator. Im lame, only have 1 perlick and a couple of party taps. Just carb a keg, set it aside, and carb another one, and so on. A manifold or dual regulator is soon in my future.

The manifold is what you need.

I probably wasn't clear about the regulator. It's a dual body 3-gauge. That means it will regulate 2 different pressures at the same time, which is what I need for soda. I already have a 2-gauge with dual outputs (both outputs are same pressure).

Here's pics of what I have now (except with a Y output and 2 valves), and what I just ordered.

tapriteMFL.jpg

tapritedualbodyUSA.jpg

passedpawn said:
The manifold is what you need.

I probably wasn't clear about the regulator. It's a dual body 3-gauge. That means it will regulate 2 different pressures at the same time, which is what I need for soda. I already have a 2-gauge with dual outputs (both outputs are same pressure).

Here's pics of what I have now, and what I just ordered.

I got ya now. Manifold for sure.

Got a dual body Taprite regulator on my 20# CO2 tank feeding two manifolds in my brew fridge. One goes to the three port, the other to a two port. I can only fit four kegs in the brew fridge, and only have three taps through the door. I also have enough 'spare' CO2 tanks on hand that if I run out, there's something seriously wrong with me, the world, or we've used up all the CO2 available (that must have been one HELL of a party :rockin:)...

Sounds like we have a similar serving situation.

Yep, I've got a 20# in the keezer now with the 3 kegs. But that monster is going to my storage freezer and getting replaced with a 5# CO2 tank and this dual body regulator so I can get a 4th keg in the keezer. I'll be serving 3 beers and a soda (root beer currently).

We should place bets on how long this thread lasts!! Since I think all the mods are east coast/mid west I bet it goes.....7 pages before it gets locked.

impressed this is still unlocked! I like the regulator threadjacking, lol

We should place bets on how long this thread lasts!! Since I think all the mods are east coast/mid west I bet it goes.....7 pages before it gets locked.

That encourages padding which obviously adds pages. If we go based on time we'd have no control over it. I say 7AM EST.

That encourages padding which obviously adds pages. If we go based on time we'd have no control over it. I say 7AM EST.

Youre right! Time is a better way to do it!! I say 5:30 am EST.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back