NB's Caribou Slobber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NocturnalEMT

Reaction score
Tomorrow will be the one month mark I have had the Caribou Clobber in the primary. My main reasoning for do this is I have had great luck with just leaving my brews in the primary and completely bypassing the secondary. I am yet to have any sediment issues. Do you think it's cool to go ahead and keg this and leave it for a week, or should I just secondary it first. Let me know your thoughts. My keezer is in dire need of another HB.

If your keezer has room cold crash the beer for a few days, then transfer to a keg. A month in primary and there really is no reason to secondary unless you are dry hopping or bulk aging.

I'd leave it in the primary if it will fit, and siphon from that to keg after cold crash. Cold Crashing will help the yeast settle out of the beer if there is much left. You'll want to siphon making sure to keep the end of your siphon off the trub. You could transfer to another keg before cold crashing, but you're increasing the possibility of contamination/oxidation when you do this.

Edit:
Really you'll probably be ok going primary to keg to crash to nother keg for carbonation/serving, as long as you're pushing CO2 from keg 1 to 2 to transfer the beer and are using proper sanitary practices. This is ending up being a lot of work for probably negligible clarity increase. The yeast has had a month to settle out already, just transfer to your serving keg carefully and you probably won't have much difference between it and cold crashing.

Yes keg it. I wouldn't worry about oxidation. People I'm sure would disagree with me. But I wouldn't bother cold crashing either, as I have done that and then kegged and noticed little to no difference. It's already a month old plus it'll clear out just fine in the keg if you let it sit for bit.

I've got an NB caribou slobber (AG) carb'ing in the keg as I write this. I primaried for a month just like you, then siphoned as gently as I could so as not to introduce too much oxygen. The sample was delicious.

Has anyone made both the extract and the AG versions of this? What were the taste differences between them? Also is Wyeast 1332 the preferred yeast to use?

This is an EXCELLENT beer. I highly recommend, especially poured fresh from the keezer.

2012-03-18_18-08-39_637[1].jpg

I just bottled my Caribou Slobber yesterday (out of keg space) I let it sit in the primary for a month it looked very clear. My first batch of Caribou Slobber was an extract beer that I did 10 days in the primary and 2 weeks in the secondary and it didn't come out as clear. Great beer, I like it to warm up a bit after I pour it from the keg.

I have this kit in the mail right now... along with Surly Furious and Dead Ringer... cant wait!

I have zero to next to zero , and not an exaggeration, sediment so far. BUT, I stop my siphon with about a quarter inch of remaining beer, then dump the rest.

Back