Let's Talk about Burners.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLinNH

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Where did you get your burner and how do you like it? I just looked at the selections from Northern Brewer. Yup, the 100 dollar one sure is nice, but is it really better then the $55 one?

I'm proud to say I have a gas guzzling 220,000 btu burner in my garage, do you need it? Maybe, if your doing 10gal batches or larger. Its awesome for heating a
lot of volume within minutes.

ScubaSteve said:
They've gotta be more than 100k btu....!....?

I know what you mean. I've seen others that looked the same and were 150,000 BTU. All I do know is that it will get my keggle with 10 gal of cold water to boil in approx 15-20 minutes. About 10 min for the wort to boil after sparging.

I use a Hurricane Burner from Midwest Supplies:
7168.jpg

I love it. Even though it says only 60K BTU, it's got plenty of power for me. I do full boils for 5 gallon AG batches, sometimes ending up with 7 gallons of wort to boil after the sparge. I never seem to need more than half throttle, and I can get about the same boil times as the_Roqk with 5 gallons. The nice part for me too is that when I bought it I had a half tank of propane, I've done 2 extract batches and 2 full AG batches (incl heating up the strike/sparge water) and I'm still working off the rest of that tank. I love how efficient it is, almost silent when running.

I use 3 cheapy ($10) cast iron burners like the one in this picture with a 10 psi regulator. I've got no problem boiling 13 gallons of wort and never have to crank it up all the way. I start heating during the sparge and have a rolling boil within 5-10 mins of the sparge. Some will tell you that you need a bigger burner, but I disagree unless we're talking about batches > 10 gallons. Just my $0.02.

cast_iron_burner.jpg

scottmc said:
Thats the same one I have, but the box and instruction book says its a 220,000 btu burner. Hmmm, must be a different regulator on mine.

The KAB5 comes standard with the lower psi regulator, about 125,000btu.
the higher 25psi regulator gets you about 250,000btu.

shouldn't 'need' to go that high unless you make 10gallon batches.

Yeah...let's be honest.....you really never NEED a burner that big....but that's half the fun of having the equipment!

Lil' Sparky said:
I use 3 cheapy ($10) cast iron burners like the one in this picture with a 10 psi regulator. I've got no problem boiling 13 gallons of wort and never have to crank it up all the way. I start heating during the sparge and have a rolling boil within 5-10 mins of the sparge. Some will tell you that you need a bigger burner, but I disagree unless we're talking about batches > 10 gallons. Just my $0.02.

cast_iron_burner.jpg

I have that same burner and it takes me forever to get a boil going, where talking 25+ min for 7 gallons of wort. Although I think it might be an air issue and not a burner issue.

I got a 210k beast of a Banjo burner parrtly because I just didn't want to not be happy with something smaller and have to upgrade later, but the main selling point for me was the incredibly sturdy frame that it's on. I'd have no problem putting 13+ gallons on that thing and letting it rip. My buddy has a turkey fryer that be bought for $50 or so (can't remember exactly how much) and I'm surprised that the thing can support the weight of a 5 gallon boil.

Just my opinion.

thebull said:
I have a 210,000 BTU banjo from Amazon. Burns like a 747 and quiet as an electric kitchen stove.

...and the link to het one would be?

Gotta ask as I am in the market and will be purchasing this week.

I've got a Bayou Classic that puts out 210,000 btu, plus 2 Hurricane burners & regulators @ 55,000 or 60,000 btu from Northern Brewer. All 3 are the exact same burner, but the Bayou has a higher pressure regulator. It is the exact same burner that The rock and others have posted above. The Bayou can put out more heat, but at that point, the fire is lapping around the outside of my keggle, which is very inefficient, mostly lost heat. The 55000 btu jobs actually keep up just fine, more is NOT needed.
A benefit that I like is the 10 inch burner diameter, which spreads the fire out over a wider area of the brewpot, helping to prevent hot spots. I suspect that this will be most useful when I finish my directly heated mashtun.

I use the 55k Bayou classic stainless and it works pretty well for me. Not super fast, but I only do 5G batches. The burner and stainless 30qt pot were $89 total. That's hard to beat with any size stick.

-RS

Alemental said:
I've got a Bayou Classic that puts out 210,000 btu...

I also have a Bayou Classic and have really enjoyed it. After trying to boil 5 gallons on a magnetic induction, flat-top range, it was absolutely necessary. 45+ minutes for only a rolling boil. The Bayou Classic is excellent; it focused the burner more so there isn't as much waste as an open burner, resulting in a quicker boil, propane savings and all around efficiency. I believe I picked mine up for ~$60. I'm sure you can find a better price than I did if you shop. I was desperate.

Scott

I bought 2 Banjos and incorporated them into my single tier HERMS. Here's a link:

http://homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=36267&page=6

I think these will do quite well for what I need them for. The stand is a little weak with all 3 burners at full blast, but I'll never need to do that....besides, I'd like to conserve some propane. :D
Look towards the end for some video! :rockin:

Last edited by a moderator:
raceskier said:
You guys might want to consider this one instead:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009JXYPU/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
It's tall enough that I can drain my strike/sparge water directly into a 10 gal Rubbermaid mashtun as well as draining wort into my fermenter. Less lifting of heavy pots full of hot or boiling liquid.

this would probably be a good idea if that was the only burner being used, however in my setup i am using them in a tiered tree, i basically cut the legs off of mine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back