a definitely unwanted hiatus from drinking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Karr

Reaction score
Friday evening, my daughter's horse kicked me in the ribs. I now have a hoof-shaped bruise under my right arm. Along with it came 3 or 4 fractured ribs, a couple of small punctures in my right lung, and a massively swollen liver.

There's a liver enzyme that's typically at a measured level of between 40 and 70 in the blood. When the medics got me to the hospital, mine was at 1400.

Along with being in a trainload of pain, moving very slowly, and having a great deal of pain when I cough, the docs advised no alcohol until October.

Ain't that a rout?:(

Pet food brewery
Glue For You Brewery
Dead Horse Brewery

...seriously though that was bad. injured and unable to drink beer. Time to prepare - do up where you brew, clean out all the bottles you have lying around, brew shed loads, brew some more, brew loads more.

well the enzyme they are talking about is probably serum glutamic oxaloacetic transaminase (SGOT)
so you could go with 1400 SGOT Brewery or 1400 Serum..

Oh yeah.. and that sucks about getting kicked.. My fiance is into horses.. I refuse to go within like 15 feet of the kicking side.. You have my wishes for a speedy recovery!

SpamDog

SpamDog! Dog Meat.
The two main brands of dog meat here are, "Pal" and "Chum". Funny.

...my inlaws here are into racing horses, some of them go to the dogs so to speak.

Oh man that is terrible sorry to hear that. You could always start a big barley wine to set back until Oct.

Jim, that really stinks! I'm glad that you're going to be ok, but that is really scary. Thank goodness it wasn't even worse.

You could start a lager now, or a winter warmer beer, so you can look forward to it when your liver returns to normal. And crack open some of that raisin wine in November to celebrate your return to alcohol!

Wishing you a speedy recovery,

Ouch! That sucks. I used to ride a lot growing up on the farm. I got kicked in the side of the knee once. My leg swelled up so bad I couldn't get my pants off. I feel your pain.

Sonofa.........that sucks man, i hope that you are doing alright now. at least you can get a little time off of work. I am with everyone else use the time to create the perfect Dead Horse Stout that you can come up with.

Cheers

Hold on...hold on...

Let's not get carried away hear....did I read this right?

Jim Karr said:
...docs advised no alcohol until October.:(
Advice and orders are two different things.

Remember that hops are a natural antioxidant. I can't see any harm in sipping a nice APA to help you relax...:D

Anyway, hope you feel better.

At least it wasn't "My daughters horse kicked me in the "fellas".

Wasn't it "Blazing Saddles" where the guy decked the horse and it went down like a ton of bricks?

Fitting at least, as opposed to something much more fatal.

Sorry to hear it tho Jim. Good luck, and yeah, I think the idea would be to brew often and think about all the kicka$$ beers you'll have waiting for you this fall.

Ize

Back