If I wanted to buy " acidulated malt ", what would I ask for?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You mean "acidulated malt" doesn't work?

Sometimes called "Acid Malt" I guess...

Also don't use much it REALLY packs a punch in terms of flavor.

Acidulated malt or acid malt or sauermalz (sour malt), any decent HBS should have it (and should know what you mean by any of these names). I use it in just about every brew except dark ones, purely for pH adjustment.

do you use sauermalz in place of your base malt or is the addition of 2% done after you have figured out your recipe?

ie if a recipe calls for 10lbs of 2-row

would you use 10lb of 2 row + 2% sauermalz or would you subtract the amount of sourmalz added from the 2row called for?

9lb 13oz 2 row
3oz sauermalz

How much acidulated malt does it take to adjust the pH? A couple ounces, grams, pounds? Does the acidulated malt have any ill effects on flavor? I am starting to brew more lagers this year as it was my "brew-years resolution". Last week my pH was a little high and I got some phosphoric acid to use but I read that it will decrease the amount of calcium in the water. I was thinking about just adding enough calcium before the acid so that when the acid strips some of the calcium out the water is back at equilibrium. I would much rather add pinch of acidulated malt and get my pH down .2-.6

do you use sauermalz in place of your base malt or is the addition of 2% done after you have figured out your recipe?

ie if a recipe calls for 10lbs of 2-row

would you use 10lb of 2 row + 2% sauermalz or would you subtract the amount of sourmalz added from the 2row called for?

9lb 13oz 2 row
3oz sauermalz
I usually just add it because it is so little. Acid malt doesn't have a very high yield either so it doesn't add as much gravity per pound as the 2-row. Acid malt potential is only ~1.028.

How much acidulated malt does it take to adjust the pH? A couple ounces, grams, pounds? Does the acidulated malt have any ill effects on flavor? I am starting to brew more lagers this year as it was my "brew-years resolution". Last week my pH was a little high and I got some phosphoric acid to use but I read that it will decrease the amount of calcium in the water. I was thinking about just adding enough calcium before the acid so that when the acid strips some of the calcium out the water is back at equilibrium. I would much rather add pinch of acidulated malt and get my pH down .2-.6
Each 1% of the grist lowers pH by about 0.1. How much you can use before you can taste sourness is a matter of opinion, some say 4% but I think I can taste it well before that. I try to stay below 2.5%.

Kaiser just recently put out a new article called Mash pH Control and it says:
"Phosphoric acid" is a weak inorganic acid that is much safer to handle that hydrochloric or sulfuric acid and is widely used in soft drinks. It replaces bicarbonate with phosphate and therefore increases the phosphate content of the mash. The amount of phosphate added, however, is small compared to the phosphate added by the malt and therefore the use of phosphoric acid should not lead to the precipitation of additional calcium and magnesium.

Most excellent, thanks SpanishCastleAle. Now my only concern is that I have 85% O-Phosphoric acid. I'm fairly certain it's food grade but I need to figure out if I should dilute it at all.

Most excellent, thanks SpanishCastleAle. Now my only concern is that I have 85% O-Phosphoric acid. I'm fairly certain it's food grade but I need to figure out if I should dilute it at all.
Can't really help you there, there are guys in the science forum that could though. We use a proprietary mixture of ortho-phosphoric acid at my job in our electro-polisher so I really should know more about it.

Back