When it Rains it Pours - Car Trouble

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RDWHAHB

Reaction score
Both our cars are 11-12 years old, so no big complaints. But these things are needing repairs all the friggen time.

About a month ago my wifes keyless entry module break. So I pull it out and fix it. Then my truck throws a check engine. I read the code, track it down to a flow sensor for the EGR, and replace. Then my wife car has a check engine. A couple nights of diagnostic and I track down that a vent solenoid wires are pulled off....go to the junk yard, get a new harness, and solder it on. All is good. Then a couple nights ago her headlight went out. Replace those. Now today I drive home and my voltage tanks above 3k RPM; I just spent the last hour replacing the alternator.

Hopefully they keep going for a week or so.

Yeah, I know not everyone can afford it, but if you buy the right car new, it's actually cheaper to buy a new car than own an old one that constantly needs repairs.

Good luck, I've got 2 vehicles that are over thirty years old myself.

Yeah, I know not everyone can afford it, but if you buy the right car new, it's actually cheaper to buy a new car than own an old one that constantly needs repairs.

Good luck, I've got 2 vehicles that are over thirty years old myself.

They've been rock solid for a long time. I've actually got a huge spreadsheet that I made comparing current cost, new car, and used car. estimated repairs, depreciation, interest, insurance, way too much info. In the end we are sticking with these unless they have a lot more problems. In the mean time we've been saving for a new car. Hopefully we can go a couple more years and pay cash.

Very true on saving money DIY...I have only spent about $250 for all these problems. And $170 of that was tonight on the alternator. I just want a few weeks off though....

All minor stuff so far, hang in there. I'm so tired of car payments. My wife drives a 2000 Chevy Malibu with 209,000 so far 1 intake gasket and a water pump. I drive a 2005 GMC Sierra with 280,000, so far nothing but tires and oil. I'm gonna rid them till they drop. That extra $460 a month buys a lotta nice brewing stuff.:mug:

Sounds like my Jeep. I drive it and by the time it's home there is a new problem.

yeah, look at the bright side. someone like me would be forking over fist-fulls of cash to get those things fixed. a mechanic somewhere would be making some serious dough.

I wish I were that mechanic! Instead I get paid on the low end of the scale and my shop owner makes the serious dough. Taking a guess here RDWHAHB, you drive a Ford pickup and she drives a GM...maybe a Grand Am/Prix?
Tom

Sounds like my Jeep. I drive it and by the time it's home there is a new problem.

Are you sure it's not WHERE you're driving it that causes the problem??

My 99 Cherokee has been pretty solid so far. My friend's 96 has over 300,000 on it and it's still going (but looking pretty tired). He gave it to his parents a couple of years ago when it reached 300,000.

I had to sink 1600 in repairs over the last 3 month in our two old beaters. It sucks but if they keep on trucking then its worth the gamble over buying new.

Sounds like the '79 Class C RV I had, Dodge 440 engine in a 400 chassis. I NEVER managed to go more than two days without a breakdown. Had three tow-in electrical problems in one day.

Finally junked it.

Ford Ranger - those things probably leave the line with an extra EGR DFPE ready to swap in. Wife drives a 98 Subaru Impreaza Outback Sport. One thing that has helped is manuals from http://www.eautorepair.net. Once I got that for the subaru I found the wire problem in about 10 mins. Before that I was a bit stuck. Need to get it for my truck too.

TomRep-sounds like you need to open your own shop!

If I had the cash, I might consider it. Been working on them for almost 12 years at this joint. I do all electrical work that comes through the door. Fords are easy to repair once I get the code thats in it. They all have the same problems. I hate Ford's but they do give me a paycheck every week!
Tom

living the dream: paid off house and cars, no debt , just pay utilities , or go solar and have the electric company PAY you.

ahhhh one day I hope to be there living the dream.

-=Jason=-

Are you sure it's not WHERE you're driving it that causes the problem??

My 99 Cherokee has been pretty solid so far. My friend's 96 has over 300,000 on it and it's still going (but looking pretty tired). He gave it to his parents a couple of years ago when it reached 300,000.

Only thing you need to watch out for with the jeep 4.0s is the head cracking.

Spent last night replacing the oil pressure switch. It wasn't showning pressure while cold. Not too hard once I found where it was. I was thrown off because my truck has a pressure "gauge". Turns out it is a glorified dummy light (i.e. on or off). I kept trying to find a sensor on the drawings, not just a switch. Seems like a stupid design.

Only thing you need to watch out for with the jeep 4.0s is the head cracking.

Head, or valve cover? I used to work in the factory where they made the plastic valve covers. It was much too easy to torque the bolts too tight and crack the cover.

I haven't heard of the heads cracking.

And he said his folks' Cherokee had 370,000 miles on it now.

My 98 S10 4 cyl had that freaking EGR get gunked up every month or so. I hated that EGR.

Wife drives a 98 Subaru Impreaza Outback Sport. One thing that has helped is manuals from http://www.eautorepair.net. Once I got that for the subaru I found the wire problem in about 10 mins. Before that I was a bit stuck. Need to get it for my truck too.

TomRep-sounds like you need to open your own shop!

I've got a 99 IOS that I replaced the engine on 2 years ago. We got rear ended early this year and the problems have been popping up ever since it came back from the body shop. My gas tank intake pipe is held together with duct tape right now, I've got some burning rubber smells coming from the back end, a mysterious rattle from the engine compartment when above 45mph, but it has nothing to do with the RPM (thinking it's wind related), and the wife reported smelling gas when she started it today, so I've probably got another exhaust leak near the engine.

I'm currently considering doing a few quick patch repairs and then selling it and going back to the monthly payments on something that doesn't cost me 1-2 weekends a month (worse than the army reserves!)...

Back