Aquarium filtering beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CodyRay

Reaction score
Is there any reason I cannot use a standard canister filter minus the chemical and biological components to filter beer? I was thinking simply rack the beer to the bottling bucket, setup the sanitized filter, prime and run the filter for like an hour to help remove at least some of the remaining suspended particles. When done the filter could just be tipped upside down and allow the remaining beer to flow back into the bucket.

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.c...yimages/larger/lg-70411-48800-fish-supply.jpg

The inlet is a submersible pump and the outlet would be below the surface of the beer. As long as the filter body was filled with beer before the pump was started only a small amount would be introduced. I plan on naturally carbonating so any small amount introduced should be scavenged by the yeast, hopefully :drunk:

Updated first post with link to filter in question.

My concern would be with the sanitation of the pump. I personally would not be very comfortable with placing a submersible pump and electrical cord in my beer.
Could you ditch the pump and use this filter with just gravity?

I would run the whole setup using sanitizer for at least 30 minutes beforehand but I suppose one could connect the inlet to an autosiphon and the outlet to a bucket below the fermenter.

How fine of a filter are we talking here? What is available for that device? How expensive is it compared to the regular household canister filters like this one?

I don't think it will work for you. I have set up several aquariums and when you first fill them the fine particles in the gravel (I am salt water and use crushed coral/rock) gets mixed up in the water and all the filtering in the world does little to help clear the water. Time and settling is what clears it up. I think the suspended sediment in my start up aquariums is quite like the suspended sediment in beer. It is so, so fine filtering would take more time and effort than I think it would be worth. I don't think an hour is going to do much to clear your beer if that is what you are going for. If you are talking about what floats on top that filter will do nothing for that either.

That said, you are talking about post fermentation right? Well, by the time you get any results I think you will have exposed the beer to way too much open air exposure for its good. If you do try it I would use the filter medium AND the charcoal too and report back if you are happy with the results.

I don't think it will work for you. I have set up several aquariums and when you first fill them the fine particles in the gravel (I am salt water and use crushed coral/rock) gets mixed up in the water and all the filtering in the world does little to help clear the water.

Funny you should mention this as I just setup a 15 gallon reef yesterday, still a bit cloudy. I was thinking about using filter floss but some activated carbon might be interesting.

Funny you should mention this as I just setup a 15 gallon reef yesterday, still a bit cloudy. I was thinking about using filter floss but some activated carbon might be interesting.

That's the issue IMO. Just not able to filter fine enough. That's why the water filter between two kegs came about. A little CO2 and push the beer through the filter. Its about as clean as your gonna get on the other side. Just get the fine mesh filters for the canister.

I also would be worried the carbon would take all the aroma away from the hop additions.

FYI - If you set up a reef yesterday, let it settle on its own and be patient. Setting up a reef system is equivalent to creating a biosphere, and it requires patience and extreme care. Filtering at this point would not be the best way to start that system. You should not have ANY filter system connected at this time at all.

(I've been in the hobby since I was 8)

I used to filter my beer using a typical canister set up. I think the desire was to have nice clean clear beer as fast as I could. Time and experience taught me that clear beer doesn't come from filtering, yes it can be achieved that way, but letting your beer cold condition for 2 or 3 weeks will achieve a far better result.

I basically give this advice to most new brewers that I help out. Brew a few batches over one weekend, then brew another batch every two weeks for the next three months... before you know it, you'll have enough beer on hand that it will be ok to let "Father Time" have a crack at your beer.

I haven't filtered in the last 600 gallons, I haven't tapped a beer less than 2 months old... all my beer is wonderfully clear.

EDIT: I went and looked at the link for the OP's filter.... looked a bit more like a "male enhancement" device than an aquarium filter :D

Back