Copper vs. SS chiller - Moot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjayzzone

Reaction score
I've seen so many discussions about copper vs. stainless wort chillers, heat transfer capabilities, etc. I purchased a 50' x 3/8" SS wort chiller on ebay for $65, and I would recommend this product to anyone. A five gallon batch cooled in ten minutes.

So to all of you who are unsure if SS can do the job that copper can (heat transfer-wise), the answer is a definite yes, so don't hesitate.

Copper is a better conductor than SS. Of course they will both work, however, copper will be slightly more efficient. I think the main reason most use copper is because it tends to be less expensive than SS. Having said that, SS looks really cool though!

Copper is a better conductor than SS. Of course they will both work, however, copper will be slightly more efficient.

Yes to the first statment. Maybe to the second. Clearly copper is theoretically more efficient, but if the water leaving the chiller is at or near the wort temp (because the chiller is long enough), then it makes no difference.

I've been very happy with my SS chiller. It DOES look cool. It does chill well, and I like using SS. It is very easy to clean.

if the water coming out is close to wort temp on both then you could turn up the pressure on the copper and cool it faster.

If copper is a better conductor then it is more efficient.

A 50' SS chiller is about $10 more than a 50' copper chiller. SS prices have dropped dramatically.....

Everyone knows that copper is a better conductor, but in this use, the difference wouldn't even be noticeable. I just wanted to post the outcome so that if someone is trying to decide between shiny SS or green copper ;) , they won't worry about efficiency.

A 50' SS chiller is about $10 more than a 50' copper chiller. SS prices have dropped dramatically.....

Everyone knows that copper is a better conductor, but in this use, the difference wouldn't even be noticeable. I just wanted to post the outcome so that if someone is trying to decide between shiny SS or green copper ;) , they won't worry about efficiency.

Touché, good sir...

Copper also has antibacterial qualities that might be of some benefit to homebrewers.

True dat.....but at the same time, food production companies use SS rather than copper for sanitary purposes. To each his own, i'm a supporter of all HB equipment....wood, copper, aluminum, or stainless! :mug:

True dat.....but at the same time, food production companies use SS rather than copper for sanitary purposes. To each his own, i'm a supporter of all HB equipment....wood, copper, aluminum, or stainless! :mug:

I have not had good luck with my bamboo wort chiller. :(

Back