Biscuit malt question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCuckerson

Reaction score
I have an amber recipe that is pretty smooth and I figured I could add a bit of biscuit malt to give it a "fat tire-ish" flavor. I checked the LHBS and they have this description with the malt: "Does not contain enzymes and should be mashed with grains that have surplus diastatic power" WTF?!?!?!!?!? Would someone please convert this to buzzed guy language for me? Thanks!

IMO, to directly answer your internal concern, as long as you are already mashing with 2-row or something similar (maris otter rocks!), which i am sure you are, then go ahead and add some biscuit malt, I think you'll be happy with the result. Aromatic is a good choice too, I used a bit of that in a Fat Tire Clone with great results. There's a section in John Palmer's HowToBrew book (free if you read through it online) that gives a good clear vision on brewer's jargon, but to some people it can be kind of a boring read (yours truly included), but it does help to know terminology when I ask noob questions and all the homebrewing experts come back with technical responses!

Back