Do I have a leak in my keg system?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgerBrigade

Reaction score
Sunday I got a fresh 5 pound CO2 tank, I had 3 gallons of cider which I put into a 5 gallon keg, Turn the pressure up to 30 PSI to force carbonate.... It's only been a day and half and my CO2 regulator already has dropped 200psi and is in the red "order gas" area. There was only 3 gallons of liquid in the 5 gallon keg... Does this mean all that CO2 is in the negative space of the keg or do I have a leak somewhere? The homebrew guy told me When I bought my CO2 tank that I should be able to force carbonate four or five kegs? So I'm wondering if I have a leak or if that is just the correct amount of CO2 that would get wasted in trying to force carbonate a half full keg?

All kegging systems have a leak. Right at the tip of the faucet where the beer comes out into your glass.

The high pressure gauge of the CO2 tank is pretty useless. It will stay at the same pressure until you are just about out as since the CO2 is liquid in there it equilizes out by transitioning to a gas so the pressure is always static. It will only drop when there is no more liquid CO2 or if you make it colder. Is your tank in your kegerator? That can account for the pressure drop. I would not worry until you notice that you are at 0 on the high pressure side gauge.

Ya that seems the most likely culprit is putting the CO2 in the kegerator. Mine will drop that much when it gets cold and will spend most of the time in the "Order Gas" part of the regulator. But it's fine I have used the same tank without filling for multiple kegs. If it was that big of a leak you should here it somewhere. You can spray soapy water on the fittings to see if anything bubbles indicating a leak.

So is the consensus that this must be a leak?

With 3 gallons of liquid in a 5 gallon corney that means there is a 2 gallon area in there that is just airspace so? (Still puzzled)

Is there really that much CO2 in one of those little 5 pound tanks?

With no leaks in the system how many half full kegs should I be able to force carbonate with one 5 pound CO2 tank?

It's either a leak or you never answered the question "is your CO2 tank kept in the kegerator". If your CO2 tank drops from room temp to 40 degrees in the kegerator it will easily show 200 pounds less, but that is not an issue it's still full. The airspace wont make a 200 pound difference. I never really counted but I know the tank I'm on now I have done at least 5 or 6 kegs. Also used it multiple times to purge air for transfers to secondary and I'm still 200 pounds away from the red. So yes there is a ton of CO2 in that little 5lb tank.

thisisbeer said:
It's either a leak or you never answered the question "is your CO2 tank kept in the kegerator". If your CO2 tank drops from room temp to 40 degrees in the kegerator it will easily show 200 pounds less, but that is not an issue it's still full. The airspace wont make a 200 pound difference. I never really counted but I know the tank I'm on now I have done at least 5 or 6 kegs. Also used it multiple times to purge air for transfers to secondary and I'm still 200 pounds away from the red. So yes there is a ton of CO2 in that little 5lb tank.
Yes, sorry.... Co2 is inside

Thanks by the way
:mug:

BadgerBrigade said:
So is the consensus that this must be a leak?

The consensus is 'not a leak'

Also, there is that much co2 in a small tank. Just because the tank is smaller than keg doesn't mean it won't carb several. There's liquid co2 in the tank that boils off into gas.

Yes, sorry.... Co2 is inside

Thanks by the way
:mug:

I have a 5 lb. c02 tank in my kegerator that is hooked up to 3 kegs. It has gone through 5 kegs now and my regulator is buried deep in the red "refill tank" area. Still carbing away on my kegs :mug: you're fine

image.jpg

jph2275 said:
I have a 5 lb. c02 tank in my kegerator that is hooked up to 3 kegs. It has gone through 5 kegs now and my regulator is buried deep in the red "refill tank" area. Still carbing away on my kegs :mug: you're fine

grazie grazie :)

Latest posts

Back