The Johnson Controller... Which one is best?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrinkingLounge

Reaction score
I have my old GE Fridge now and want to add the Johnson A419 Controller to it. But they sell a blue one and gray one.

What is the difference between the two? Which one is best? Or is there another make out there that's better?

I plan on using my fridge as a fermentor and a storage for beer when I'm not brewing.

The grey ones are older we have them on the furnace controls for my air handler units at work. I think they started coming out in blue sometime after 2005.

If you buy this one;
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00368D6JA/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

It's already completely setup for the application you ant to use it for complete with cord and nem 5 plugs so you can plug it direclty into your wall and freezer without having to do any of your own wiring.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the analog ones. No programming just turn the dial, and cheaper. Easy to raise temp for lagers over a couple of days. I have three different ones and I prefer the analog over all of them

All the blue Johnsons are prewired, gray you do the wiring...

I've had 3 gray/analog johnson controllers, all of them were pre-wired.

fwiw, only the digital Johnson models provide an anti-short-cycle function to protect a compressor...

Cheers!
the grey/analog have a 4 degree cutout to prevent short cycling.

Back