How to Carb Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinstan

Reaction score
I am about to make my first apfelwein. I know I want it to be sparkling, but I want to know exactly how before trying it. I have saved numerous bottles and now have a capper and caps so I'm ready to cap something. I plan on waiting the 6 - 8 weeks for fermentation then I want to bottle. I have coopers carb tabs, muntons carb tabs, and dextrose. Can someone help me with which is going to be better ? I am making two 1 gallon batches to start with. I need a clear process to follow to get it right. Anyone done this ?

I've never used the carb tabs but I think they are plenty self explanatory. I believe it's one drop per 12 oz bottle and 2 drops for the bomber bottles.

With dextrose, I use about 3.5 oz for 5 gallons of cider. (This is hard cider at 7% ABV, not apple wine - but I think it should be the same) I shoot for around 2 volumes which is sort of a draught style (IMO) and not champagne like.

Here's a good calculator for determining the weight of your priming sugar:
http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html

Back