primary fermenter got up to almost 80 degrees? Did I kill my yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blsjr84

Reaction score
Here in Va we had a cold spell that forced me to wrap my primary fermenter bucket in a blanket. It stayed at 66-68 in there. Today the temp. went up to nearly 75 or so while i was at work, thus heating my wort to about 78ish degrees. Am I skrewed?
Thanks, this is my first brew :confused:

No, you definitely didn't kill the yeast! Yeast love warm temperatures, and won't die until about 120 degrees or thereabouts. There is the possibility of off-flavors from a too-high temperature but even then it's only "possible" and not a certainty!

...but what if it stopped showing signs of releasing CO2 or...bubbling at the air lock

Higher temps can have a tendency to speed up fermentation a bit. Maybe it's done. What was to OG and how long has it been going?

it's been going since friday. not sure about the OG (wife threw away the box) like i said im kinda clueless about certain stuff as this is my first rodeo...It's an IPA if that helps...is 4 days of "percolation" a reasonable amount of time?

If it's been going since Friday then it's been 5 days, about the right time for the bubbling to stop or at least slow down in the air lock. Also depends on the yeast strain, some have really fast fermentation periods.

I brewed it on Friday...Didn't really start "moving" untill Sat...Thats why i said 4 days...I put it in a water bath as soon as I realize what had happened...it's in a room with an ambient temp of about 67 degrees. I guess it will be fine. I was under the assumption that it would "percolate" for the entire 7 days. Does it not "percolate" in the secondary fermentor?

The secondary fermentor is more of a "bright tank". Used primarily for dry hop additions and getting clarity out of the beer. There can be a little fermentation activity in the secondary, especially if you encountered a stuck fermentation in the primary.

What Yooper said.

Depending on the strain could just be diff flavors....for instance I like to use wlp300 in my hefes, if I want more banana flavor(esters), I ferm warmer(at 75 its a bananna bomb:D), if I go colder into the sixties more clove comes out. What are you using?

Back