Home distilling for brew water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mb2658

Reaction score
I have a line on a free operational 1 liter per hour Corning Mega-pure laboratory still. I was thinking of using it to distill water for my brewing. I figure that I will need to come up with a bigger tank to hold between 10 and 20 gallons of water as it will take about 24 hours to distill 5 gallons. Is this worth while? Has anyone else done this?

I pay about 40 cents per gallon for almost distilled level RO water. Doesn't seem worth it to me to distill your own.

I would think that distillation would be a big PITA but as the price is right I'd take the thing and fiddle with it for bit. You can always put it out at the curb if it doesn't work out.

According to the manual, it utilizes a 1000 W element and uses 8 liters of water per hour to produce 1 liter of distilled water. The other 7 liters are for cooling. I am going to give it a shot. If it doesn't work out, I can always try to sell it on eBay.

Update on this Zombie thread:

I finally hooked the still up in my new brew room and it works pretty well. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392343288.728928.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back