5 Gallon Gumball Head Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KennyS1134

Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm new to brewing (which is the greatest thing ever), I've been learning on the kit batches, but I'm ready for something a little more tasty and challenging. I've looked around here for a Three Floyds - Gumball Head clone, but only found 10 gallon recipes. My batch would only be 5 gallons. How would I calculate a 10 gallon recipe to 5? A nudge/punch would be greatly appreciated. Oh, and if you've tried any variation to the GBH clone that isn't on here I'd love to check it out. Cheers!

Not to be a smartass, but maybe half everything in the 10g recipe? I know someone that did the recipe and said it was delicious. Personally I would add a bit of citra hops at flameout (.50 oz or so) and also to the dryhop. Citra has some amazing flavor/aroma. It is on my "to brew" list.

Well, if the recipe is for 10 gallons, divide it by half.

If you are new to brewing, let me suggest that you buy Brewsmith. Its only about $20 and is an awsome program that allows you to make your own recipes, scale everything convert from all-grain to extract.

btw, I am heading to 3 Floyds in a couple hours to do a brewery tour.

I'll ask about the different hops they use for GBH. I'll see if they do use citra.

Well, if the recipe is for 10 gallons, divide it by half.

Let's see.

10 divided by a half = 20

or did you mean half the batch size?

That would be 10 divided by 5.
So it would be 2

Wait, I'm confused. Didn't he want a 5 gallon batch?

:D:drunk::cross:

So I went to the brewery yesterday. They said that they definitely use Amarillo.

Also, I have seen other recipes on here using S-05.. they use an American Wheat.

Pretty cool tour though.

They don't use Citra, I was just saying it would work well with the recipe.

Ill be heading to 3 Floyds in a couple weeks for the tour. Then back in April for Dark Lord Day.

Back